Frequently Asked Questions

Whom do I call for support?

484-343-6028 (available 24/7 on call)

Room 206 Health Services Building
Available by appointment Monday through Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm, and available for consultation 24/7 by contacting the Student Health Center, Residence Life (your RA), or Public Safety

3rd floor Health Services Building
Open 24/7 when classes are in session
Open 8:00am – 4:00pm Monday – Friday when classes are not in session
(on breaks and during the summer)

610-519-4444 (emergency)
610-519-6979 (non-emergency)
Farrell Hall, Lancaster Avenue
Available 24/7 365 days/year

Back to Top

What should I do if I or my friend may have been sexually assaulted?

The best thing you can do is be a friend by:

  • Listening and offering your friend support.
  • Believing your friend.
  • Letting him/her know that what happened is not their fault.
  • Putting aside your feelings and dealing with them elsewhere.
  • Respecting your friend’s privacy.
  • Supporting his/her choice of solution to the assault.
  • Being dependable and available when he/she needs you.
  • Being patient.

Most importantly, it important that you are a good resource for your friend by knowing the following:

  • Your friend should be in a place where he/she feels safe. If he/she does not feel safe, identify a place where they will feel safe and take them there.
  • Because preserving evidence is of the utmost importance, your friend should not: change their clothing, shower, apply any medication to wounds, drink or chew gum.
  • Getting medical attention as soon as possible is extremely important.
  • If predatory drugs are suspected, your friend needs to request testing at the Student Health Center or the local hospital.
  • Everyone responds differently to a sexual assault. Your friend may want or need emotional support immediately following an assault and for many years to follow. Free, confidential counseling is available at the Holloway Counseling Center for both you and your friend. To read more about rape trauma syndrome, click here.

Back to Top

When should I call a Sexual Assault Resource Coordinator (SARC)?

Call a SARC when you have any concern or question about a sexual assault. A SARC is available 24/7 at 484-343-6028. He/she is able to review all options available to a survivor of sexual assault (medical care, reporting, counseling) and can accompany a student to campus and/or community services to ensure that he/she receives appropriate medical care, emotional support, and follow-up information in the wake of a sexual assault. If someone isn’t sure whom to talk to, calling a SARC is a good way to explore options.

Back to Top

What services will the Sexual Assault Resource Coordinator (SARC) provide?

The SARC will review all options available to a survivor of sexual assault, will accompany a student to campus and community services if the student desires to take advantage of them, and will provide ongoing support to a student throughout their Villanova career.

Back to Top

How should I preserve evidence of a sexual assault?

Because preservation of physical evidence is of the utmost important, a survivor should NOT:

  • change their clothing or shower;
  • apply any medication to wounds;
  • drink or chew gum.

 However, if he/she has removed clothing that was worn at the time of the assault, the clothing should be stored in a paper bag. Additionally, if you suspect that you have been drugged with a predatory drug like GHB or Rohypnol, it is important that you request a urine sample be taken within 72 hours of the suspected drugging. Most predatory drugs are eliminated from a person’s system within 24-72 hours, so it is critical to request a sample be taken in a timely manner.

Back to Top

Do I have to name my assailant?

  • YES, if you want to pursue formal disciplinary action against the alleged assailant.
  • YES, if you want to pursue legal action against the alleged assailant.
  • NO, if you do not wish to file a complaint with the University or with local police.

Back to Top

Will the accused student know my identity?

  • YES, if you file a formal complaint with the University.
  • YES, if you file charges with the local police.
  • NO, if you do not provide this information to someone at the University or to the local police.

Back to Top

If I report my assailant, I am afraid that I will be subject to retailiation from him/her or his/her friends. What kind of protection can Vilanova provide me?

  • It is a violation of University policy to retaliate in any way against an individual or group because the individual or group of individuals reported an allegation of sexual misconduct or harassment.
  • The University recognizes that retaliation may take many forms, may be committed by an individual or a group against an individual or a group, and that a Respondent can also be the subject of retaliation by the Complainant or a third party.
  • The University will take immediate and responsive action to any report of retaliation and will pursue disciplinary action as appropriate.
  • An individual reporting an incident of sexual misconduct or harassment is entitled to protection from any form of retaliation following a report that is made in good faith.

Back to Top

Can I file a complaint with the University and also with the police? Can I do one and not the other?

  • Yes, you may take action through both the campus disciplinary system and through the legal system.
  • Yes, a complainant may choose to pursue action through one and not the other

Back to Top