The purpose of the Above and Beyond Award (V+) is to recognize individuals and groups who go above and beyond the routine call of duty. This award differs from the Distinguished Service and Work Process Improvement Award in that it commends individual events, activities and projects.
The recipients of this award will have performed a significant action or service that:
- Surpasses the requirements of their job description;
- Is voluntary;
- Is unexpectant of compensation in time off or payment;
- Is either within or outside of their scheduled work hours.
For example, the nurses of the Student Health Center were the first recipients of this award. They were recognized for working extra hours, bringing in homemade food, doing extra laundry, etc. in support of the students during a flu epidemic on campus.
The recipient must have:
- Full or part time Villanova University faculty or staff member status, or have retired within the award year;
- A clean personnel file record.
Nominations may be submitted by any member of the campus community (administrators, staff, faculty or students). The Above and Beyond Committee will be responsible for administering the process. Nomination forms must be submitted prior to the deadline and must be complete for consideration. Self nominations will not be accepted.
Nominations will be accepted continuously from June 1st through April 15th of each award year. The Selection Team will review nominations once a year based upon the selection criteria detailed above.
Above and Beyond Team
The current members of the Above and Beyond Selection Team are:
- Robert Mays – UNIT
- Michelle Capobianchi, Chair – Villanova Dining Services
- Liz Walsh - Office of University Communications
- Joyce Minogue – Office of Health Promotion
Award recipients will be honored at the annual Community Picnic in the spring. Each awardee will receive a certificate signed by the President of the University, and a V+ pin.