Steel-Cut Oatmeal Heaven
- 1 cup steel-cut oats*
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup snipped dried apples or dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries, raisins or tropical fruit bits
- 2 3 - inch sticks cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
- 2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained and crumbled
- Spread oats in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until oats are lightly browned, stirring twice. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, bring water, sugar, butter and salt just to boiling. Stir in oats, apples, cherries and cinnamon. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until oats are just tender and liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard cinnamon sticks. Serve oatmeal warm.