- Send in documentation to LSS (if you have not done so already)
- Schedule a time to meet with LSS during your first week of classes
- Fill out your Request for Accommodation Form when you get your class schedule and submit this form to LSS
- Encourage your parents to attend the optional Parent Orientation and Resource Fair
- Review the other academic and support resources available to you on campus
- Acquire a daily/weekly planner
This can be electronic (such as Google Calendar) or paper, but you want to use one planner consistently. You will need this to keep track of your classes, long-term assignments, and your activities.
- Check out Academic Technology Options:
Get comfortable with your computer. Consider looking at software that might help you with your work load.
1. Read and Write Gold - You can install this software program from our website to your chosen computer. The program is FREE to all Villanova students. This software provides support with reading, writing, and study skills and integrates with familiar applications (i.e. Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer, and Adobe Reader). It will be a tremendous help in your online class reading and research.
You can install the software by clicking on the Read & Write Gold tab on the LSS website. You will need to use your Villanova log-in to access.
2. Pulse Smart Pen – The Smart Pen records audio and links it to what you write. It automatically captures everything as you write and draw. The smart pen works only with Livescribe dot paper. This is an excellent tool to supplement your notetaking if you are an individual who qualifies for note-taking as an accommodation.
3. AudioNote - AudioNote enables you to type notes that are linked to an audio recording. Your notes will be time-stamped, allowing you to playback the recording from that point in the lecture so you can fill in any missing notes. You can also upload pictures and lecture slides to enhance your notes. You can download AudioNote to your computer, smart phone, or tablet.
4. Dragon Naturally Speaking – This software allows you to dictate instead of typing on a keyboard. It does take several hours to train the software to recognize your voice. Check out Dragon Naturally Speaking's website.
- If you are taking any medications,
make the necessary arrangements with a doctor close to the campus who will be available to monitor medication. You will need to be responsible for taking your medication on schedule so take responsibility for that before leaving for college.