For many years, the Career Center encouraged employers making employment offers to Villanova students to abide by certain dates for student responses. Over the past few years, we have observed significant changes in employer hiring patterns for externships, leadership programs, internships, and post-graduate employment. It has become a markedly different environment for recruiting, which we expect to be sustained in the future, due in large part to three trends:
- The increased speed with which employers evaluate candidates and make offers
- A desire to offer opportunities to students earlier in their academic careers for externships, leadership programs and internships
- The overall shift toward more on-campus recruiting in the Fall semester
Few employers are willing to conform to specific deadline dates for student responses to employment offers because of the complexity of recruiting across multiple campuses. After many discussions with employers and other universities, we have learned that most employers are operating under a two to four week window for all employment offer responses, with the majority expecting two weeks’ response time.
Understanding this, the Center Career has established guidelines to provide both students and employers a fair, transparent and up-to-date framework for managing the offer phase of the recruitment process:
- For all offers extended during the Fall or Spring semesters for externships, leadership programs, internships or full-time employment, employers should allow a minimum of three weeks from the date of the written offer, but preferably longer, for students to accept or decline any offer
- EXCEPTION: for all offers extended at the conclusion of previous employment (externship, leadership program, internship, or full-time employment) during the Spring/Summer terms, employers should give until October 15th for students to accept or decline the offer for the next opportunity
- The written offer should clearly state all appropriate terms and conditions, including, but not limited to, position title/description, location, start date, end date (if applicable) and compensation (salary, bonuses, benefits, etc.)
- All bonuses or other incentives are to remain in full effect for the entire duration of the offer period
- Students are encouraged to contact employers well before the offer deadline if they have any questions or concerns about their offers, including the need for more time to make a decision (refer to the Managing the Job Offer Process section below for more information)
- Employers should be flexible in granting offer extensions on a case-by-case basis if the circumstances warrant it.