What time of the day do you function best? Don’t plan all your work during your lowest performance times. Are you a night owl or an early bird?
Optimize Your Environment
Find an area you study best. Do you like to study alone? With people around you? With background music? With Clutter. Experiment and see what works for you!
- Close your door. Turn off your phone. Find a place to work where you can’t be disturbed.
- Use “To Do” lists and monthly and weekly calendars* Check off completed tasks*
- Establish specific and realistic goals
- Set priorities: Rank order by importance and difficulty.
- Divide big jobs into workable steps: break each task down to do each subtask at a time.>
- Develop alternatives: be flexible enough to switch tasks when necessary
- Make realistic time estimates: allow more time than you think you need for a job
- Give yourself a deadline: make things happen. Use a deadline to help pace yourself.
- Do one task at a time: focus completely on what you are doing. Don’t get distracted. If you are or do MOVE.
- Finish each task fully: prevents procrastination and lost time.
- Do it now!: why put off tomorrow what you can do now? Do you spend more time worrying than actually doing? You will feel great when’s it’s done.
- Reward yourself-VERY important. Make the reward the same size as the task.