The St. Thomas of Villanova Day of Service is just one of many ways that Villanovans reach out to meet the needs of communities near and far. Below are a few examples of opportunities to continue your service throughout the year with Villanova or with outside agencies.
Weekly Service Experiences for Students
Rays of Sunshine – A program that offers opportunities to tutor, visit children’s hospitals, assist with hospice care, and much more. Contact: DeVon Jackson at (610) 519-7829, or stop by Dougherty 214A.
RUIBAL – A freshman-only service opportunity. Volunteer one day a week (3-6 p.m.) to serve schools in Philadelphia.
Back on My Feet – Promoting the self-sufficiency of homeless populations by engaging them in running (Fridays, 5-7 a.m.) as a means to build confidence, strength and self-esteem. Contact: Daniel Nieman
COV: Community Outreach of Villanova (weekly service opportunities) Contact: Lisa Mehalick, (610) 519-5178.
- St. Francis Inn Soup Kitchen – Mondays 3-7 p.m. Volunteers serve the guest restaurant-style.
- Northern Home for Children – Mondays 5:30-8 p.m. Volunteers help with homework, play outside with the children and/or play video games, pool and foosball inside.
- St. Barnabas Mission – Thursdays 6-8 p.m. A shelter for women and children. Volunteers play with the children and act as positive role models and friends.
- Holy Family Nursing Home – Saturdays 10 a.m.-2 p.m. As a volunteer, witness the depth of true Christian hospitality and gain an appreciation for Catholic healthcare and hospice.
- North Light Community Center – Tuesdays and Wednesdays 3:15-6 p.m. An afterschool program for children in grades K-6. Villanovans work one-on-one, aiding with homework , playing games and making crafts.
- St. Agatha’s Soup Kitchen – Wednesday’s 4:45-7:30 p.m. Volunteers are responsible for preparing and serving food, and cleaning afterward.
Please visit the Campus Ministry website for answers to frequently asked questions about COV and other weekly service opportunities.
Long-Term Service Experiences for Students
Best Buddies – Program that pairs Villanova students with men and women who have intellectual disabilities. Contact: Lori Blake, (610) 519-4214.
Other options for Students
Service Break Experiences – Villanova University’s Service Break program provides opportunities for students, faculty, staff and alumni to practice their faith through service to the poor throughout the country and around the world for 1-2 weeks during fall, winter and spring breaks. For more information, please contact Tim O'Connell, (610) 519-4084..
LEVEL – Able-ism awareness group focused on changing the way people view ability on campus by building relationships and mutual understanding with differently abled students on and off campus. Contact: Ariana Meltzer-Bruhn.
SREHUP (The Student Run Emergency Housing Unit of Philadelphia) - An initiative shared by Philadelphia area college students to help empower positive changes in the lives of Philadelphians experiencing homelessness Contact: Megan Hopkins
Major One Day Events
Weekly Service Experiences for the Community
Mommy’s Light – Bring joy and comfort to children who have lost their mother due to cancer by keeping old family traditions alive.
Home of the Sparrow – Housing and support services for low income women who want to improve their lives.
Philabundance – Acquire food and distribute it through organizations serving people in need.
Project H.O.M.E. – Empower adults to break the cycle of homelessness and poverty.
Philadelphia Cares – Connects those seeking to volunteer with service opportunities throughout Greater Philadelphia.