University Lectures and Events
- Faith and the Environment Panel: Empowering the Care of Creation
Co-sponsored by The Center for Peace and Justice Education, Office of Sustainability and The CRS Partnership with Villanova University. This event involved discussion of concrete steps to creation care - with intentions to leave students/faculty feeling empowered to do so. Panelists included Rear Admiral David W. Titley, USN (Ret) who led the US Navy’s Task Force on Climate Change; Gaye Burpee, a Sr. Technical Advisor at Catholic Relief Services; and Dan Misleh, Executive Director of the Catholic Climate Covenant. ACS Approved Event.
- Faculty/Staff Workshop Fall 2014: Building Resilience in Poor Communities through Information and Communications Technology for Development (ICT4D)
Shaun Ferris, CRS Director of Agricultural Livelihoods; Stephen Hellen, CRS Director of ICT Architecture Design; and Marianna Hensley, CRS Regional Technical Advisor for Monitoring and Evaluation, Accountability and Learning for CRS’ East and South Asia Region; will offer an exciting overview and specific examples of how the agency is using ICT cutting-edge innovations to creatively meet agricultural, market, financial, and health needs and build resilience in very poor communities.
Curriculum Global Solidarity Network (GSN) Sessions
- Fall 2014
- Addressing Hunger Through Livelihoods and Food Security
- Session 1 - Food Security
- Session 2 - Climate Change and Food Security in the Worlds Most Vulnerable Regions
- Spring 2015
- Technology and Justice: How Information Technology is Changing International Development
- Session I - ICT4D - Healthier Communities
- Session II - ICT4D - Better Business
CRS Ambassador Events and Internships
- Season of Solidarity - Interfaith Vigil for Families Fleeing Conflict in Syria and Iraq, Wednesday, December 3 The Villanova community joined together in the St. Thomas of Villanova Church to Learn, Pray, Act and Give during this Season of Solidarity for the 13.6 million Syrians and Iraqis who have been displaced due to the crisis in the region due to the spreading violence of ISIS. Kim Pozniak, CRS Communications Officer for Global Emergencies, and Barbara Fraze, International Editor for the Catholic News Service, recently returned from the region, addressed the situation. Donations to donate.crs.org/seasonofsolidarity gave support to the families essential living supplies, safe housing, hygiene kits, medical care and trauma counseling.
- CRS Ambassador Regional Training Workshop, Villanova University, Saturday, October 25th, Garey Hall
- The Bread for the World National Gathering, held in Washington DC in June, was attend by three CRS Ambassadors. Bread for the World is a collective Christian voice urging our nation's leaders to end hunger at home and abroad.The Ambassadors attended sessions and participated in Lobby Day to advocate on hunger issues.
- Rodrigo Rivera '16 (Political Science and Theology and Religious Studies), CRS Northeast/Regional Office, Fall 2014
- Andrew Zoeller ' 16 (Law School), CRS International Headquarters, Summer 2014
- Siobhan Cooney '14 (Theology and Religious Studies), CRS International Headquarters, Summer 2014
- Morgan Gruenewald '15 (Political Science), CRS International Headquarters, Summer 2014
Guy Vanmeenen, CRS Senior Technical Advisor Microfinance Africa, is spending his sabbatical in residence at Villanova. Fall 2014