The Self-Study Steering Committee and the Working Groups refer to several publications, made available by The Middle States Commission on Higher Education, to assist institutions through the decennial evaluation process.
- Characteristics of Excellence- 2009 Online Version Requirements of Affiliation and Standards of Accreditation:
[This edition will apply to all institutions being evaluated in academic year 2009-10 and thereafter] This special edition, available online only, contains the new Requirements of Affiliation that became effective March 1, 2009 (pages xii and xiii).
- Self-Study: Creating a Useful Process & Report (2nd Edition, 2007):
A manual for institutions preparing for the self-study and peer review processes
- Team Visits: Conducting and Hosting an Evaluation Visit (2009):
A manual for team Chairs, for evaluators on visiting teams, and for institutions being evaluated after the decennial self-study report is submitted.
- Student Learning Assessment: Options and Resources (2nd Edition, 2007):
The handbook, Student Learning Assessment: Options & Resources (2007) has a new Chapter 4, incorporating Assessing Student Learning and Institutional Effectiveness: Understanding Middle States Expectations, which is also available as a separate publication for download free from this website.]
- Assessing Student Learning and Institutional Effectiveness: Understanding Middle States Expectations:
This brochure clarifies Middle States expectations regarding Standard 7: Institutional Assessment and Standard 14: Assessment of Student Learning in Characteristics of Excellence. It supersedes Chapter 4 in Student Learning Assessment: Options and Resources (2005, 8 pgs).
For additional publications, check with The Middle States Commission on Higher Education.