Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week originated at Villanova University in 1975, under the guidance of the late Fr. Ray Jackson. This week of coordinated activities and education has since expanded beyond Villanova’s walls to become the most widely organized hunger and homelessness event of its type nationwide. Beginning Nov. 14, Villanova continues the tradition that began on its campus by raising awareness about global poverty, hunger and homelessness during 2010 Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, Nov. 14-19.
More than 500 campuses and communities now participate in awareness week each year by organizing educational programs, fasts and sleep outs, community service events, letter-writing campaigns and congressional call-in days.
Events scheduled throughout the week at Villanova include a campus sleep out, clothing drives, turkey dinner drive, campus fast, Hunger Walk/Run and food packaging for needy families.
Keynote speaker Mark Winne, who does policy communication and food policy council work for the Community Food Security Coalition, will give the keynote address, "Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty,” Wednesday, Nov. 16, at 7:30 p.m. in The Connelly Center Cinema.
Click here for more information on Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week at Villanova University.
2010 Schedule of Events – Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week
- Food Drive and Winter Clothing Drive (St. Rita’s Hall)
Friday-Saturday, Nov. 12-13
- Super Fresh Food Drive, 1305 West Chester Pike, Havertown, Pa., 9am - 6pm
Sunday, Nov. 14
- ACME Food Drive, 311 E. Lancaster Avenue, Wayne, Pa., 10am - 2pm
Monday, Nov. 15
- Can Collections at the South Campus Market and 2nd Story Market 9 - 11pm
Tuesday, Nov. 16
- Bread & Soup Lunch, Villanova Room, 11:30am - 2pm
- Post Graduate Volunteer Service Fair, Villanova Room, 7 - 9pm
- Can Collections at the South Campus Market and 2nd Storey Market, 6 - 8pm
Wednesday Nov. 17
- Hunger Run/Walk starts at “The Oreo”, 4:30pm (All proceeds benefit Back On My Feet)
- Keynote Address by Mark Winne, 7:30 p.m. at Connelly Center Cinema, "Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty"
Thursday, Nov. 18
- Fast Day during lunch hours
- Faces of Homelessness Panel, Bartley 1001, 7 - 8:30pm
- Solidarity Sleep Out, begins with Reflection at 9pm at “The Oreo”
Friday, Nov. 19
- Turkey Drive, drop-off at St. Rita's Hall, 9am - 11am