Sridhar Santhanam, PhD
Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Villanova University College of Engineering
Area of Expertise:
- Materials Science
- Solid Mechanics and Design
- Continuum Mechanics
- Smart Materials
- Fracture Mechanics
- Electron Microscopy
Developing smart materials - metals, alloys and composites that can be reconstituted to improve strength, safety or design - is an area of special interest for Dr. Santhanam. His research probes the properties of materials at the micro or nano-structure level with a particular interest in shape-memory and fracture mechanics. Santhanam can provide background and analysis of mechanical failures in products and systems such as the 2006 Boston "Big Dig" tunnel tragedy in which an overhead concrete panel fell, killing a motorist. Structural failures in aircraft are another area to which Santhanam may be able to speak.
- Ph.D., Arizona State University
- M.S.M.E., Arizona State University
- B.Tech., I.I.T. Madras, India
- Karambelas, G, Santhanam, S., Wing, Z.N., ‘Strombus gigas inspired biomimetic ceramic composites via SHELL-Sequential Hierarchical Engineered Layer Lamination,’ Ceramics International, vol. 39, pp. 1315-1325, 2013.
- S. Santhanam and R. Demirli, “Reflection of Lamb waves obliquely incident on a plate edge,” Ultrasonics, vol. 53, pp. 271-282, 2013.
- Karkamkar, N., Bose, B., Santhanam, S., and McLaughlin, P.V.,"The Use of Interlayers in Modeling Interface Crack Propagation," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 75, Issue 18, pp 5087-5100, 2008.
- Pasupuleti, S., Peddetti, R., Santhanam, S., Jen, K.P., Halloran, J., Hecht, M., and Wing, Z., "The Effect of Nano-Sized Sintering Aids on Toughening Behavior of Silicon Nitride, "Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 43, pp 2799-2805, April 2008.
Selected Professional Experience
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Villanova University
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Microbiology, Miami University
- Assistant Scientist, Mechanical Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- Mesoporous Silicon Carbide for Catalyst Applications, 2007-2008, DOE SBIR Grant with EverNuTechnology LLC
- Pasupuleti, S., Peddetti, R., Santhanam, S., Jen, K.P., Halloran, J., Hecht, M., and Wing, Z., The Effect of Nano-Sized Sintering Aids on Toughening Behavior of Silicon Nitride, Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 43, pp 2799-2805, April 2008.
- Santhanam, S., A Method to Extract Interface Stress Intensity Factors for Bimaterial Problems Using Interlayers, International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 135, pp 137-159, 2005.