Gerard F. "Jerry" Jones, Ph.D.
Sr. Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and Research
Villanova University College of Engineering
Area of Expertise:
- Heat Exchanger Analysis and Design
- Solar Thermal Engineering and Technology
- Heat Transfer in Electronics Cooling
- Assessment, Analysis, and Design of Gravity-Driven Water Networks and Micro-Hydroelectric Power Systems
Dr. Gerard Jones' extraordinary breadth of knowledge and experience in the mechanical engineering field uniquely positions him to explain complicated engineering concepts that have direct relevance to contemporary issues. With a specialty in heat transfer and fluid mechanics, Jones can provide background on how heat exchange affects solar heating, electronics cooling, geothermal and nuclear power systems. Jones' research, analysis and design have been applied to areas as diverse as high-performance aircraft systems, race car aerodynamics, art preservation, passive solar homes and cryogenics.
- Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
- M.S.M.E., University of Pennsylvania
- B.S.M.E., Villanova University
- Book: G.F. Jones, "Gravity-Driven Water Flow In Networks: Theory and Design," John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2010.
- Book Chapter: G.F. Jones and W.O. Wray, "Simplified Methods in Passive Solar Buildings," J. Douglas Balcomb, Ed., MIT Press, 1992.
- Bielenberg, Patricia, Prenger, Coyne, Veirs, D. Kirk and Jones, Gerard, "Effects of Pressure on Thermal Transport in Plutonium Oxide Powder," International Journal of Heat And Mass Transfer, Vol. 49, 3229 (2006).
- Jones, G.F. and Chandra, P., "Thermal Optimization of a Composite Heat Spreader: Large High-Conductivity Blade Fraction," Proc. 2006 International Heat Transfer Conference, Sydney, Australia, 2006.
Selected Professional Experience
- Professor, and Chairman, Department of Engineering, Villanova University.
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of New Mexico, Los Alamos, New Mexico
- Researcher, Technical Staff Member at Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Research Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, University of Pennsylvania
- Consultant to: Los Alamos National Laboratory; Materials Research and Design, Inc., Wayne, PA (high-performance aircraft systems); RaceCar Associates, Inc., Wilmington, DE (race car aerodynamics); The Italian National Laboratory, ENEA, Rome, Italy (art preservation climate control)
- Investigation of the Thermal Contact Resistance at the Glass-Mold Interface on the Blankside of the Container Forming Process, 2008-2009, Emhart Glass Manufacturing, Inc
- Thermal Management for Control of Structural Morphing, 2004-2005, Office of Naval Research.
- High-Performance, Air-Cooled, Carbon Fiber Heat Exchanger for Heat Transfer in High-Power Density Systems, 2001, Ballistic Missile Defense Organization.