Alfonso Ortega, Ph.D.
Associate Vice President for Research and Graduate Programs;
James R. Birle Professor of Energy Technology in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Villanova University
Area of Expertise:
- Electronics Cooling
- Experimental Methods in Thermal Sciences
- Energy Technology
Dr. Ortega is in the vanguard of researchers seeking to solve the increasingly complex problem of cooling electronics that are integral to daily life, such as laptop computers and cell phones. His specialization in heat transfer and the thermal sciences also addresses gas turbine cooling, which relates to the survivability of airplane engines. Ortega's research leads to products that perform more efficiently and last longer.
- Ph.D., Stanford University
- M.S., Stanford University
- B.S., The University of Texas, El Paso
- Smith, J.C., Henderson, D., Ortega, A., and DeVoe, J., "A Parameter Optimization Heuristic for a Temperature Estimation Model," Optimization and Engineering, 2008.
- Dogruoz, M.B., Ortega, A., and Westphal, R.R., "A Model for Flow Bypass and Tip Leakage in Pin Fin Heat Sinks," ASME Jnl. Electronic Packaging, Vol. 128, No. 1, 53-60, 2006.
- Dogruoz, B., Urdaneta, M., and Ortega, A., "Experiments and Modeling of the Hydraulic Resistance and Heat Transfer of In-Line Square Pin Fin Heat Sinks With Top Bypass Flow," Intl. Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 48, 5059-5071, 2005.
- Bower, C., Ortega, A. Skandakumaran, P., Vaidyanathan, R., and Philips, T., "Heat Transfer in Water-Cooled Silicon Carbide Milli-Channel Heat Sinks for High Power Electronic Applications," Transactions of the ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 127, No. 1, 59-65, 2005.
Selected Professional Experience
- Program Director, Division of Chemical and Thermal Systems, National Science Foundation
- Consultant for Honeywell Engines and Systems, Tempe, Arizona
- Director of Villanova’s Laboratory for Advanced Thermal and Fluid Systems which he founded in 2006
- Guest Researcher, Semiconductor Electronics Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Maryland
- Adjunct Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.
- Technical Staff Member, Geothermal Research Division, Sandia National laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- "Advances in Liquid Crystal Transient Thermal Imaging," Honeywell Engines and Systems.
- "Characterization of the Flow and Pressure Drop in Honeycomb Inlets with Grazing Flow," Honeywell Engines Systems and Services.
- "Characterization of Thermodynamic and Hydrodynamic Performance of Water-Cooled Silicon Carbide Milli-Channel Heat Sinks," Advanced Ceramics Research, Office of Naval Research.
- "Development Of A Simulator for New Downhole Technology for Standing Column Water Wells," ARB Geowell, Conshohocken, Pa.
- "Visualization of Flow in and the Deployment of Components in Downhole Technology," ARB Geowell, Conshohocken, Pa.
- "Experimental Measurements of the Flow and Heat Transfer in a Square Jet Impinging on an Array of Square Pin Fins," Intel Corporation, SUN Microsystems.