Michael A. Posner, Ph.D.
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Villanova University College of Arts and Sciences
Area of Expertise
- Observational Studies
Dr. Posner is an Accredited Professional Statistician who can provide authoritative expertise and analysis on statistics rates surrounding medical and health care data, public health issues and Medicare. He can also comment on various statistics education methods and motivators.
- Ph.D., Boston University
- M.S., Carnegie Mellon University
- B.A., University of Rochester
- Lawrence M. Lesser, Amitra A. Wall, Robert H. Carver, Dennis K. Pearl, Nadia Martin, Shonda Kuiper, Michael A. Posner, Patricia Erickson, Shu-Min Liao, Jim Albert, John J. Weber III, “Using Fun in the Statistics Classroom: An Exploratory Study of College Instructors’ Hesitations and Motivations,” Journal of Statistics Education, 2013, 21(1), 1-33.
- Michael A. Posner, “The Impact of a Proficiency-based Assessment and Reassessment of Learning Objectives System on Student Achievement and Attitudes,” Statistics Education Research Journal, 2011; 10(1); 3-14.
- Shoshana Dobrow, Wendy K. Smith, Michael A. Posner, “Managing the Grading Paradox: Leveraging the Power of Choice in the Classroom,” Academy of Management Learning & Education, 2011; 10(2); 261-276.
- Elizabeth Dowdell, Michael A. Posner, M. Katherine Hutchinson, “Cigarette Smoking and Alcohol Use Among Adolescents and Young Adults with Asthma,” Nursing Research and Practice, 2011.
- Michael J. Mason, Michael A. Posner, “Brief Substance Abuse Treatment with Urban Adolescents: A Translational Study,” Journal of Child & Adolescent Substance Abuse, 2009; 18:2; 193-206.
- Stefan Kertesz, Michael A. Posner, Stacy Swain, Arlene Ash, Michael Shwartz, “Post-Hospital Medical Respite Care and Hospital Readmission of Homeless Persons,” Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the Community, 2009; 37:1-14.
Selected Professional Experience
- Independent Consultant
- Statistical Manager, Boston Medical Center’s Data Coordinating Center and Health Care Research Unit
- Biostatistician, New England Research Institutes
- Instructor, Boston University School of Dental Medicine
- Instructor, Boston University School of Public Health
- Lecturer, Boston University Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Instructor, Carnegie Mellon University
- National Science Foundation Discovery Grant (DRK-12), “Engaging Secondary School Students and Teachers Through a Proficiency-based Assessment and Reassessment of Learning Objectives (PARLO) System in Mathematics,” 2010-2015.
- Founding Director, Center for Statistics Education. Awarded grant to create a Center of Excellence in College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Villanova University, 2013-2016.
- Villanova Institute for Teaching and Learning Faculty Associate grant, 2013.
- Education Consortium for the Advancement of STEM in Egypt (ECASE), funded through World Learning, The Franklin Institute, the 21st Century Partnership for STEM Education, and the Teaching Institute for Excellence in STEM (TIES) to advise the Egyptian Ministry of Education to establish and evaluate a STEM curriculum, 2012-2016.