Marcus Kreuzer, Ph.D.
Department of Political Science
Villanova University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Area of Expertise:
- European Politics
- Parties and Elections
- Comparative Social Policy
Democratization and globalization, two issues consistently in the forefront of the news today, are topics Dr. Kreuzer can speak to authoritatively. With a specialization in European politics, particularly Western and Central European, Dr. Kreuzer can offer particular insight on European political parties and elections.
- Ph.D., Columbia University
- M.Sc., London School of Economics
- B.A., University of British Columbia - Canada
- Kreuzer, Marcus, Institutions and Innovation: Voters, Interest Groups and Parties in the Consolidation of Democracy. France and Germany, 1870-1939 (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2001).
- Kreuzer, Marcus, Book Chapter: Post-war Germany's Personalized Proportional Representation: Institutional Engineering in the Shadow of Weimar, in Electoral Systems and Choice, Josep Colomer ed. (New York: Palgrave, forthcoming).
- Kreuzer, Marcus, "Parliamentarization and the Question of German Exceptionalism: 1867-1918," Central European History, vol. 36/3 (2003): 327-359.
- Kreuzer, Marcus, "Patterns of Instability, Party System Instituionalization in Postcommunist Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania," Studies in Comparative International Development, 2003, 38/2 (Summer): 73-95 (with Vello Pettai).
Selected Professional Experience
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Barnard College
- Acting Chair, Institute on Western Europe, Columbia University
- Mellon Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Columbia University
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Dartmouth College
- Visiting Assistant Professor, McGill University
- Soros Foundation, "Party Building and Democratization in the Baltic States," 1999.
- Italian Academy for the Advanced Studies in America, "Electoral Systems and Democratization," 1992.