David M. Barrett, Ph.D.
Department of Political Science
Villanova University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Area of Expertise:
- United States Presidents
- United States Congress
- The Central Intelligence Agency
- National Security and Intelligence Issues
- Lyndon Baines Johnson
- The Vietnam War
Dr. Barrett is one of the country's leading experts on the critical relationship between the United States Congress and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). Current hot topic issues such as national security and the United States presidency are other areas of specialty for Barrett. He is also a good source for stories on President Lyndon Baines Johnson's handling of the Vietnam War. Coming from a background in radio and television news, Barrett is adept at giving media interviews on his area of academic expertise.
- Ph.D., University of Notre Dame
- M.A., University of Essex (England)
- B.A., University of Notre Dame
- Barrett, David M., The CIA and Congress: The Untold Story from Truman to Kennedy, University Press of Kansas, September, 2005.
- Barrett, David M., Lyndon B. Johnson's Vietnam Papers: A Documentary Collection, Texas A & M University Press, 1997.
- Barrett, David M., Uncertain Warriors: Lyndon Johnson and His Vietnam Advisers, University Press of Kansas, 1993; paperback, 1994.
- Barrett, David M., "A New Intelligence Director's Diary: President Truman, a Young JFK, Ho Chi Minh's 'Beheading' and Other Challenges," research note in Intelligence and National Security, June 2007.
- Barrett, David M., "Congressional Oversight of the CIA in the Early Cold War, 1947-1963," chapter in five-volume book series, Strategic Intelligence, Loch Johnson (ed.), Greenwood Press, 2007.
Selected Professional Experience
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
- Radio news director, WNIT Public Television, South Bend, Indiana.
- Democratic primary candidate for United States House of Representatives from Indiana's third congressional district.
- Author of books on Congress and the American intelligence community; Lyndon B. Johnson and the Vietnam War.
- Frequently interviewed by national and metropolitan radio, television and print news media on political topics.
- Peer reviewer of articles and book reviewer for professional journals including Intelligence and National Security, the American Political Science Review, the Journal of American History, Presidential Studies Quarterly, and the Review of Politics.
- Serves on editorial boards of International Journal of Intelligence and Counterintelligence, and the journal, Intelligence and National Security.
- Villanova University Summer Research and Writing Fellowship
- Writing Residency, Bellagio Study and Conference Center, Rockfeller Foundation, Bellagio, Italy
- Moody Grant, Lyndon Johnson Foundation, Austin, Texas