Andrej Prša, Ph.D.
Department of Astrophysics and Planetary Science
Areas of Expertise:
- Eclipsing Binary Stars
- Exoplanetary Science
- Computational Astrophysics
- Measuring Stellar Masses and Radii
As an active member of NASA’s Science Working Group within its Kepler Mission, Dr. Prša has been at the forefront of some of the most significant astronomical discoveries of our time. The discovery of many of the first exoplanets, Earth-size planets within their host star’s habitable zones, were made under his tenure as chair of the NASA Kepler Mission’s Eclipsing Binary Working Group. Dr. Prša can talk about the Kepler Mission’s ongoing quest to find planets capable of supporting life, discuss the probability of life elsewhere in the universe, and field general questions pertaining to astronomy and astrophysics. He is currently president of the International Astronomical Union’s Commission on Binary and Multiple Stellar Systems.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Villanova University
- Ph.D. University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- B.Sc. University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Selected Professional Experience
- Assistant Professor, Villanova University
- Research Assistant, Professor, Villanova University
- Research Associate, Villanova University
- Adjunct Research Scientist, Dept. of Physics, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Prsa, A.; Conroy, K.E.; Horvat, M.; Pablo, H.; Kochoska, A.; Bloemen, S.; Giammarco, J.; Hambleton, K.M.; Degroote, P.; “ Physics of Eclipsing Binaries. II. Toward the Increased Model Fidelity,” The Astrophysical Journal, December 15, 2016.
- Prša, Andrej; Harmanec, Petr; Torres, Guillermo; Mamajek, Eric; Asplund, Martin; Capitaine, Nicole; Christensen-Dalsgaard, Jørgen; Depagne Eric; Haberreiter Margit; Hekker, Saskia; Hilton, James; Kopp, Gregg; Kostov, Veselin; Kurtz, Donald W.; Laskar, Jacques; Mason, Brian D.; Milone, Eugene F.; Montgomery, Michele; Richards, Mercedes; Schmutz, Werner; Schou, Jesper and. Stewart, Susan G., 2016: ”Nominal values for selected solar and planetary quantities: IAU 2015 Resolution B3.”
- Prsa, Andrej; Robin, Annie; Barclay, Thomas; “Stellar statistics along the ecliptic and the impact on the K2 mission concept,” International Journal of Astrobiology, Volume 14, Issue 2, pp. 165-172; April 2015.
- Chair of the Kepler Eclipsing Binary Working Group; Subchair of the KASC WG9: Eclipsing Binary Modeling, 2010.
- PHOEBE, Physics of Eclipsing Binaries, National Science Foundation, 2016.
- Kepler & K2 Science Center, NASA, 2016.
- Kepler Eclipsing Binary Catalog, NASA, 2016.