Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain services?

Students with disabilities should contact Learning Support Services (LSS) once they have been accepted as a student at Villanova University. In order to obtain reasonable academic accommodations, a student must register with LSS by submitting current documentation. Your documentation is confidential and will be kept in LSS. Students should make an appointment to review details of services and make plans for the upcoming semester.

Back to Top

What documentation is needed from a student?

Documentation should include a comprehensive evaluation that includes a diagnostic interview, assessment of aptitude, academic achievement and information processing, reporting of standard scores and percentiles, and a clinical summary. The report should include specific recommendations for accommodations and an explanation as to why they are necessary. Check documentation guidelines.

Back to Top

Who should complete the evaluation?

A qualified evaluator should perform testing. For example, clinical or educational psychologists, school psychologists, psychiatrists, and other professionals that are trained in the assessment of specific disabilities in adolescents and adults would be qualified evaluators. It is not considered appropriate for professionals to evaluate family members.

Back to Top

Does Villanova have a program or services for students with documented disabilities?

The University provides services to students with disabilities. Assistance is provided, but much of the responsibility for follow through is up to the student. Students who anticipate needing a great deal of structure and support should seriously consider a college with a comprehensive program.

Back to Top

What "reasonable academic accommodations" are available for students?

Reasonable academic accommodations are individual and based on the nature of the disability and the academic environment. Some of the more common accommodations are extended time for tests, recording lectures, notetakers, scribe for testing, preferential classroom seating, and use of recorded books. Reasonable accommodations in a postsecondary environment may differ from those available to the student in secondary school. Depending on the nature of the disability and the accommodations requested, the amount of advance notice provided may impact the University's ability to provide accommodations.

Back to Top

Since I received a foreign language waiver in high school, will I qualify for a waiver at Villanova?

Foreign language is a requirement for Arts & Sciences majors only, and the University does not provide waivers or substitutions for this requirement.  A student who experiences severe problems in foreign language learning may petition the Dean of Arts & Sciences for possible modification of the requirement. Students will often find their greatest chance of success in a language is when taken in isolation, such as in the summer term. If a student has not been taking a foreign language in high school, it may be appropriate to postpone fulfilling the requirement during the first year.

Back to Top

Is tutoring provided specifically for students with disabilities?

There are several tutoring resources available to all Villanova students; some are free of charge. Learning Support Services has tutors available for some of the core courses and will provide a list of tutoring locations and contacts, as well as consultation with tutors.

Back to Top

What are the most important factors for a student with a disability succeeding in college?

  • Select a college that is a comfortable size and has appropriate majors and support.
  • College is difficult, and it can be even more challenging for a student with a disability. Since you will be spending more time on class work than many of your peers, it is important that you choose a major that you like. This will allow you to have greater focus on your work.
  • Planning is essential to your success. If possible, take a reduced load of courses your first year. This may help you make the transition to the competitive college environment.
  • Many students view college as a fresh start and a time to do things on their own. Due to differences in requirements in high school and college, the strategies that worked in the past may not work now. Seek help early. It is best to be overly prepared in the beginning.
  • Get comfortable with your computer. Consider looking at software that might help you with your work, such as:

Inspiration - This is software that allows you to map your ideas. Great if you are a visual learner.

Dragon Naturally Speaking - This software allows you to dictate instead of typing on a keyboard.  It does take several hours to train the software to recognize your voice. 

Scan and Read Programs, such as Kurzweil 3000ReadPlease, or Read & Write Gold.

Books on tape are available through a national non-profit organization, Learning Ally (formerly Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic), which lends recorded academic and professional books to people with disabilities. Information about individual memberships is available by calling 800-221-4792, or on their website

Back to Top

What are your grievance procedures?

If you are dissatisfied with the academic accommodations recommended by the Learning Support Services (LSS) Office, you should discuss your concerns with the Director for LSS.  If you are not able to resolve a problem at this level, you should request an appointment with the Vice President of Academic Affairs (610-519-4521).

The University would like to address any problem situations internally; however, you may file formal charges with outside government agencies at any time, if you desire.  The United States Office for Civil Rights (OCR) in the Department of Education is the agency responsible for addressing complaints related to discrimination on the basis of disability.   Complaints must be filed within 180 days of the date of the alleged discrimination.  Since OCR's policies and procedures may change over time, you should contact the regional office directly and immediately if you wish to file a complaint of discrimination on the basis of disability.  You may contact OCR at:  1-800-421-3481.

Back to Top