Villanova University School of Law and your Alumni Association invite you to take part in Lawyering Together, a program designed to blend service and learning by partnering Villanova Law students with alumni mentors to work on pro bono cases in Philadelphia.
Participating in Lawyering Together provides you with the opportunity to mentor Villanova Law students, who are enthusiastic about working on a real case, and to give back to the community by helping those less fortunate.
The need for pro bono assistance in Philadelphia is enormous. Last year, Philadelphia Volunteers for the Indigent Program (VIP), one of our Lawyering Together partner agencies, received requests from over 895 clients in need of free legal representation. Lawyering Together volunteers help meet this overwhelming need by taking pro bono cases from VIP and our other partner agencies, the SeniorLAW Center and the Support Center for Child Advocates.
You can participate in one of two ways:
- If you are not currently working on a case assigned by one of our partner agencies, the Law School will match you with one or two students and assign your team to work with one of the agencies.
- If you are already working on a case assigned by one of our partner agencies, the Law School can assign one or two students to assist you with your case.
The program operates as follows:
- The Law School will match interested alumni with students based on their indicated case preference(s), and, if necessary, assign each pair to work with one of the three co-sponsoring public interest organizations.
- The Law School will provide each matched student and alumnus/na with his/her partner's contact information, and, if necessary, inform the team of the name of the public interest organization they have been assigned to assist.
- Each student is responsible for making the initial contact with his/her assigned alumnus/na, and the public interest organization will contact the alumnus/na to provide him or her with an assigned case.
- Each alumnus/na is ultimately responsible for his or her case. This is an experiential program for students, who are partnered with you to assist and learn.
- Each student-alumnus/na pair is responsible for determining their own work and meeting schedule, based on the demands and deadlines of their assigned case. Alumni and students are both responsible for their own work and travel expenses.
- The public interest organizations are available for training and consultation regarding the assigned case, and the Law School’s Director of Public Service Careers and Pro Bono Programs is available for consultation regarding the student-alumni partnership.
To volunteer, complete the online registration form or contact Elizabeth Dunn, the Law School's Associate Director of Public Service Careers and Pro Bono Programs and a member of the Villanova Law Alumni Association Board of Advisors, at 610-519-7228 or email@example.com.
We hope you will consider participating in this rewarding, collaborative experience!