Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan for Graduate Students
The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is a federal loan borrowed directly from the U.S. Department of Education that you can use for your educational expenses.
- Award: $20,500 per academic year **
- Lender: U.S. Department of Education
- Interest rate: Based on the 10-year Treasury note index rate plus an “add-on” to be determined each year prior to July 1. For Graduate/Professional students, the Index Rate plus “add-on” cannot exceed 9.50%.
- The interest rate once established, will be a fixed rate for the life of the loan. For the 2015-2016 academic year the interest rate for loans first disbursed on or after 7/1/2015 and before 7/1/2016 will be 5.84%.
- The interest accrues once disbursed and principal and interest can be deferred while in school.
- Fees: 1.073% origination fee (1.068% for funds disbursed after October 1st, 2015) fee will be deducted from the gross amount of loan borrowed
- Aggregate Loan Limit: $138,500, which includes amounts borrowed as an undergraduate
- Grace period: 6 months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time status
- Repayment period: 10 to 25 years depending on one of the many repayment plans you can select
- Awarded to: All eligible students
- Estimated Repayment Calculator is located here:
Estimated Loan Repayment Calculator
*The Villanova University School of Law scheduled academic year usually consists of the fall and spring semesters but may also include the previous summer semester. The scheduled academic year is a total of at least 30 weeks in length. However, under certain circumstances, students may follow a borrower-based academic year consisting of two semesters that may not start with the traditional fall/spring term. The decision to run loans on this schedule is made on an individual basis depending on the first term of the program you are attending.
Please review the Borrower’s Rights and Responsibilities when borrowing the Federal Direct Stafford loan.