Workers' Compensation

Summary of Workers’ Compensation Leave:

In accordance with the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act, the University provides wage loss and medical benefits to faculty/staff members who cannot work, or need medical care because of a work-related injury.

Description of Workers’ Compensation Leaves:

In accordance with the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act, if a faculty/staff member is injured or becomes ill while performing his/her duties at work, the faculty/staff member may be entitled to payment of salary and medical expenses.  Medical costs associated with work-related injuries will not be paid through the faculty/staff member’s health plan, but paid directly by PMA Insurance Group (PMA).   Therefore proper, prompt reporting of work-related injuries is required.

Eligibility for Workers’ Compensation:

The Workers’ Compensation law provides wage loss and medical benefits to all full-time and part-time faculty and staff members who cannot work, or who need medical care because of a work-related injury or illness.

How to Apply for Workers’ Compensation:

  • All work-related injuries or illnesses must be reported to the faculty/staff member’s department head or supervisor immediately. 
  • The department head/supervisor must immediately report the incident to PMA, the University’s workers’ compensation administrator, per the reporting procedures.
  • The department head/supervisor must also submit a Villanova University Occupational Accident Investigation Report to the Human Resources office within two (2) work days of the onset of the illness or injury.
  • The injured or ill faculty/staff member must obtain medical treatment from the University’s panel of physicians or treatment centers for the first ninety (90) days of treatment.  The Faculty/staff member may also seek the closest emergency room for initial evaluation only.  All follow-up treatment must be through the designated panel of physicians.  Each case will be coordinated by specialist nurses and physician advisors under the plan currently provided by PMA, who manages the University’s work-related injuries.  All medical bills should be submitted to PMA and/or the University’s Human Resources office for payment.
  • Workers’ Compensation procedures, telephone contacts, and panel of physicians can also be found at various bulletin board locations.  Accident forms may be obtained on-line, and through the faculty/staff member’s department, the Human Resources office, and through the Environmental Health and Safety Office. 

If a workers’ compensation claim is denied, faculty/staff members will receive notification from PMA, stating the grounds upon which the denial is based, as well as information on rights to appeal.  The Human Resources office is available to assist faculty/staff members with their claims.  If faculty/staff require further assistance, they may contact the Pennsylvania Bureau of Occupational Injury and Disease Compensation by calling toll-free 1-800-482-2383.

Impact on Salary and Benefits:

In the event a workers’ compensation accident or illness requires a faculty/staff member to be unable to work for seven (7) or more calendar days, they may be entitled to compensation, paid to the faculty/staff member by PMA, subject to certain State-determined maximums, and equal to approximately two-thirds (2/3) of the average weekly wage. 

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave will run concurrently with a workers’ compensation leave for the first twelve (12) weeks of leave.  Please see the University’s FMLA policy for further details.

Subject to the terms, conditions, and limitations of the applicable plans, the University will continue to provide health and other group insurance benefits during the faculty/staff member’s workers’ compensation leave, provided the faculty/staff member pays his/her share of the premiums.

Faculty/staff enrolled in the healthcare benefit plans (medical and dental), as well as supplemental life and dependent life prior to being on a workers’ compensation leave, will continue to receive these benefits while on workers’ compensation for up to twelve  (12) months, and will be billed by the University for their portion of the premiums.

While the faculty/staff member is still employed by the University, they will remain an active participant in the 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan; however, no additional employee or employer contributions will be made when they are not being paid by the University.

In the Defined Benefit Retirement Plan, faculty/staff members will not continue to receive credited service while they are receiving workers’ compensation payments.  For additional details, see the appropriate retirement plan Summary Plan Descriptions (SPD), on the Human Resources Website under Benefits/Financial Support/Retirement Benefits. (Link to SPD)

All other benefits, in which a faculty/staff member is enrolled, including University paid life insurance, the employee assistance plan and tuition will continue as long as they are still employed by the University.

Return to Work: 

Faculty/staff returning from a workers’ compensation leave must submit a health care provider's verification of their fitness to return to work, as well as clearance from PMA and the Human Resources Department.

Quick Links

Quick Links

Benefits & Wellness Portal: The Benefits and Wellness Portal provides access to benefits enrollment and changes due to life events, NovaFit wellness program, and your total compensation statement.

Who do I call in Human Resources? Check out the Human Resources Services Directory to find out who can best answer your questions.

myNOVA: Update your address or phone number, view and print your pay stub, or check on your available vacation time and more on the Work@VU tab on myNova. Use your LDAP/email user name and password to login.

Employment: View our job postings and apply for positions at our online hiring site. Villanova managers should log into our internal hiring site to create and approve electronic requisitions, and view applications.

Hotline: If you have a complaint or concern you would like to report anonymously, please contact the Ethics Point Hotline which is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  The hotline, provided through a third party, allows you to report any instance of misconduct in the workplace or classroom setting due to mismanagement of funds, fraud or other violation of law or University policy.

Mindful Mondays

Experience the wellness benefits of practicing mindfulness on a regular basis. Mindfulness meditation sessions run every Monday from 12:30-1:00pm in the Health Services Building, Room 200.