Full-time employees are generally entitled to ten (10) paid holidays per year and up to (6) floating holidays to accomodate the time from Christmas Eve to New Year's Day. A total of six (6) holidays are provided to part-time employees who are regularly scheduled to work 1,000 or more hours per year and are scheduled to work on the day of the week the holiday is celebrated. Employees in certain departments may be required to work on these holidays. Bargaining unit employees should consult the union contract for a list of paid holidays.
- Celebration of Christmas & New Year's, up to a total of six (6) days
- Martin Luther King Day
- Good Friday
- Easter Monday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
Each year, the University will announce the observance of holidays for the next twelve (12) month period. Of particular note is the Celebration of Christmas and New Year's . This week runs from Christmas Eve through New Year's Day and may be observed in various configurations to take into account optimal periods of time off and time worked, to maximize the enjoyment of the holidays for employees, and to maximize the effectiveness and efficiencies of work schedules and utility costs for the University's needs.
If a holiday falls on an employee's vacation or sick day, the day will not be charged to the employee's vacation or sick leave banks. In order to receive holiday pay, an employee must work his/her scheduled workdays before and after the holiday, unless such absence is occasioned by illness or accident, in which case, the day the employee returns to work he/she shall furnish the University with a certificate from a licensed physician stating that the specific absence and length of such absence was due to an illness or accident.
Part time employees starting mid-year will receive a pro-rated share of holidays in the year in which they start.
Staff Holiday Schedule
The University's Staff Holiday Schedule for the 2013 calendar year is as follows:
- New Year's Celebration - Tuesday, January 1, 2013
- Martin Luther King Day Celebration - Monday, January 21, 2013
- Easter Season Celebration - Good Friday, March 29, 2013 and Easter Monday, April 1, 2013
- Memorial Day Celebration - Monday, May 27, 2013
- Independence Day Celebration - Thursday, July 4, 2013
- Labor Day Celebration - Monday, September 2, 2013
- Thanksgiving Celebration - Thursday, November 28, 2013 and Friday, November 29, 2013
- Christmas and New Year's Celebration - Monday, December 23, 2013; Tuesday, December 24, 2013; Wednesday, December 25, 2013; Thursday, December 26, 2013; Friday, December 27, 2013; Monday, December 30, 2013; and Tuesday, December 31, 2013;
The University's Staff Holiday Schedule for the 2014 calendar year is as follows:
- New Year's Celebration - Wednesday, January 1, 2014
- Martin Luther King Day Celebration - Monday, January 20, 2014
- Easter Season Celebration - Good Friday, April 18, 2014 and Easter Monday, April 21, 2014
- Memorial Day Celebration - Monday, May 26, 2014
- Independence Day Celebration - Friday, July 4, 2014
- Labor Day Celebration - Monday, September 1, 2014
- Thanksgiving Celebration - Thursday, November 27, 2014 and Friday, November 28, 2014
- Christmas and New Year's Celebration -Wednesday, December 24, 2014; Thursday, December 25, 2014; Friday, December 26, 2014; Monday, December 29, 2014; Tuesday, December 30, 2014; and Wednesday, December 31, 2014, Thursday January 1, 2015*, Friday January 2, 2015*
*listed on the 2015 holiday schedule
Bargaining unit employees should consult their contract for a list of paid holidays.