This plan is administered through Ceridian Corporation, who also administers Lifeworks, our Employee Assistance Plan. All full-time permanent faculty and staff are eligible and the benefit amount described below is provided on a one per family basis.
Eligible Dependents (for your tax dependents only)
Employees develop their own backup care arrangements through formal or informal resources for:
- Children, including infants through preschool, as well as kindergarten to age 12
- Elders and adults with disabilities
Examples of Emergency Backup Care
- Unexpected emergency when the regular arrangement is not available
- Illness – elder, child or caregiver, child care provider
- School or child care closings (weather, teacher meetings, school holidays, etc.)
- Extensive late evenings/out-of-town travel requires additional evening care at home
- Employee needs to work, when they are not normally scheduled to work
- Parent or parent-in-law, who is normally independent, needs temporary care
- Spouse, who is normally independent needs personal care (i.e. due to surgery)
Even the most reliable child care and elder care arrangements don’t always run like clockwork. Some interruptions are easier to plan for -- like holidays and school vacations. Others -- like heavy snow that closes your child’s school, or a care provider’s sickness -- come out of the blue, leaving you to scramble for coverage. No matter what the cause of your backup care need, the Back Up Reimbursement Program, provided to you at no cost through the University, is here to help. Through our administrator, Ceridian, you receive three very important kinds of support:
- Publications designed to take you step by step through the creation and design of your own backup care plan. LifeWorks tip sheets help you locate and evaluate backup care and put your plan into action. Worksheets are available to help you keep your backup care information organized and at your fingertips.
- Expert advice by phone from consultants who understand the critical importance of good backup plans and can help you plan for your family’s unique needs. Call 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, for a free consultation.
- A financial subsidy that means you are reimbursed for certain kinds of backup dependent care -- at a rate of up to $50.00 per day for up to 5 days per year (maximum of $250 annually).
This reimbursement may be used to offset the cost of emergency backup care provided by an agency, in-home caregiver, friend, relative or neighbor. It may not be used to pay the child’s parent/step-parent, or anyone claimed as a dependent on the employee’s or spouse’s federal income tax return.
After paying the backup care provider, users must submit an Emergency Care Affidavit/Employee Reimbursement Form signed by the provider and employee. Reimbursement will be made through the payroll system following claim approval by Ceridian. The appropriate taxes will be withheld in accordance with federal, state and local requirements. All claims approved in any given month by Ceridian will be reimbursed by the University the following month through the standard payroll schedules.
To obtain an Emergency Care Affidavit/Employee Reimbursement Form, please contact LifeWorks at 888-267-8126 or visit their website at www.lifeworks.com (user ID: villanova, password: 1009)
Additional Ceridian Resources
Remember that our Employee Assistance Program, LifeWorks, also has many resources for child care and elder care assistance. Call their toll free telephone number at 1-888-267-8126 or refer to their website for information (www.lifeworks.com – User ID: Villanova – Password: 1009)
This is intended as a summary only and, if a dispute should arise, the legal plan document and contract will always govern. Villanova University plans to continue this benefit plan but reserves the right to terminate, suspend, withdraw, amend or modify any benefit plan at any time.