As part of Villanova’s comprehensive undergraduate engineering program, you will learn not only the scientific, mathematical and engineering principles expected of every engineer, but also the professional skills needed to succeed in any career. Read:
“7 Skills Every Engineering Grad Needs to be Successful.” (Design News)
Career Compass is a professional development program that runs parallel to the College’s traditional technical track. It is a graduation requirement and will appear on your transcript.
The program presents four areas of focus, which have components in each:
Module #1 - The Engineering Profession
Module #2 - Setting the Stage for Personal Success
Module #3 - Post-Graduation Planning
Module #4 - Communicating in the 21st Century
Elements of the Career Compass program are delivered in a variety of formats, including:
- Online videos, modules, quizzes and directed learning
- Attendance at 2-3 professional events each semester, requiring a written summary
- One 3-hour in-person workshop each semester
- One “significant professional experience” each year—project, internship, research, leadership position, etc.
- Interaction with an alumni or industry mentor, beginning sophomore year
Most work can be completed at the student’s convenience—weekends, breaks, summer.
Sophomores - Will be posted after June 7.
Current Juniors will continue in the College’s current professional development program.