Each freshman is assigned an academic advisor who is a full-time faculty member in the department of your chosen major. It is incumbent upon you to get to know your academic advisor as they are able to help you:
- Adjust to university life or point you in the right direction for answers
- Learn about the engineering profession in order to make a more-informed choice of a major field of study
- Select minors and concentrations
- Consider career choices, internships, post-graduation employment and graduate school
- Secure referrals, when appropriate
Perhaps most importantly, your academic advisor will help ensure proper course selection and your advancement in the academic program. At pre-registration time each semester, your advisor will provide you with an up-to-date summary of the courses you have taken and those you are still required to take to obtain the target degree.