The mission of the national LEAD program is to “engage youth of diverse backgrounds to convert high potential into high achievement and responsible leadership.” LEAD accomplishes this mission by fostering a vibrant community for students to gain the skills, experience and encouragement they need to fulfill their educational and professional aspirations in the fields of business, engineering and computer science. This exposure will equip them with knowledge and expertise to confidently make better-informed decisions when choosing a university and career.
Villanova’s LEAD Program
Each summer 30 high school students live on Villanova’s campus for three weeks, where they:
- Participate in hands-on engineering experiences
- Engage with industry partners for lab experiments and site visits (students visit PECO and Boeing)
- Learn about college preparation
- Enjoy local cultural and outdoor events
- Discover the impact that engineering can have on society
Program curricula, which rotate each year, include:
- Sustainability in Engineering
- Engineering in Developing Worlds
Participants in Villanova's program praise its content, rigor, and accessibility to faculty and undergraduate and graduate students.