Director: Jens Karlsson, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Focus: Multiscale thermal and transport phenomena in biological systems.
- Cryopreservation of tissue engineered medical products.
- Optimizing cryopreservation methods for cell therapy products.
- Cryopreservation of animal oocytes and embryos.
- Nucleation and crystal growth in highly supercooled liquids.
The Biochemical Engineering and BioProcessing lab consists of four adjacent but isolated suites:
- Biosafety Level 2 facilities for cell and tissue culture
- Cryomicroscopy instrumentation, with ultra-high speed imaging capabilities
- Tools for fabrication of bioMEMS and microfluidic devices