- Rain Garden Configuration to Maximize Hydrologic Performance. Awarded by PADEP to Dr. Traver and Dr. Welker.
- Supporting Green Infrastructure in the Philadelphia Region. Awarded by William Penn Foundation to Dr. Welker and Dr. Traver.
- Developing anti-fouling electrochemical membranes for water treatment. Awarded by the National Science Foundation to Dr. Duran and Dr. Chaplin.
- Distributed on-farm bioenergy, biofuels and biochemicals development and production. Funded to Dr. Satrio and Dr. Coe by DOE-BRDI program, as part of a 14-institution consortium led by ARS USDA in Wyndmoor, PA.
- Investigation of enhanced energy storage materials (nanoenhancement). Awarded by the National Science Foundation to Dr. Fleischer.
- Field Performance of Corrugated Pipe Manufactured with Recycled Polyethylene Content. Awarded by NCHRP to Dr. McCarthy and Dr. Welker.
- Implementation and Evaluation of a Stormwater Best Management Practices in Series. Awarded by PADEP Growing Greener, 2011-2013, to Drs. Wadzuk, Welker, and Traver.
- Prediction of Evapotranspiration from Vegetated Stormwater Control Measure. Awarded by PADEP Growing Greener, 2012-2014 to Drs. Wadzuk, Welker, and Traver.
- Pilot-scale investigation of sewage sludge and scum co-digestion. Dr. Duran (PI). Philadelphia Water Department.
- National Monitoring Site Program (319 grants): This proposal is to continue the National Monitoring Site Program for the period of 1 Oct 2013 – 30 September 2015. This grant creates the foundation for long term research in the VUSP focus area that addresses issues of importance to Pennsylvania’s non point source pollution program, and attracts research from outside Pennsylvania PaDEP and EPA region III, greatly leveraging the 319 program commitment.
VCASE would like to thank Michael Baker Corporation Sustainability Fund for their donations for three consecutive years starting in 2012 and for becoming VUSP's strategic partner.
Research projects in the environmental engineering focus area have been sponsored by industry (Organica Inc., American Refining and Biochemical, Brown and Caldwell), local (Philadelphia Water Department), state (PA Department of Environmental Protection, Ben Franklin Technology Partners), and federal government agencies (EPA, NSF, US Geological Survey). In addition, the group has collaborated with local non-profit organizations, such as Chester, Ridley, Crum (CRC) Watershed Association to address local environmental challenges.
Past and current outside grants to VUSP include the William Penn Foundation, CICEET, EPA Office of Water, and funding from the VUSP corporate partners. None of these grants would have been possible without this commitment. It should also be noted that the research direction for the sites under study is developed with the input of the VUSP Partners.