Villanova's Mechanical Engineering Department offers a graduate program of study leading to the degree of Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Our program is modern, relevant, and well-rounded; it meets the needs of the full-time student as well as the working professional, with foundations in basic theory coupled with contemporary engineering topics.
Requirements for Acceptance into the Program
- The ability to undertake graduate studies must be demonstrated by the applicant's undergraduate record and letters of recommendation.
- Applicants should ideally hold an accredited bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or its equivalent and the undergraduate course of study should have included, in addition to the usual two years of basic science and mathematics, at least one year of course work from the remaining two years in the area of solid mechanics, thermal sciences, fluid mechanics, materials science and/or design.
- Applicants not possessing an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering may be required to take additional undergraduate courses prior to admission.
Requirements for the MS in Mechanical Engineering Degree
- A minimum of 30 semester credit hours (total of 10 courses)
- All degree candidates are required to take M.E. 7000.
- Students must maintain at least a "B" average.
- A maximum of six credits may be taken outside the department with the approval of the graduate committee chair.
- A maximum of six credits may be transferred from other institutions with the approval of the graduate committee chair. A grade of "B" or better is necessary for transfer of these credits.
- Application Forms for graduate admission are available online.
- Scores on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) are required for international applicants and graduates of institutions not accredited by ABET.
- International applicants must give evidence of adequate proficiency in the English language by achieving a score of at least 600 (equivalent to 250 in computer-based score) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).