Welcome to the Concentration in Writing and Rhetoric. This program will provide you with the writing, speaking and critical thinking skills that assure academic and career success. Peruse our web page to discover more about the CWR, a truly foundational intellectual experience.
The aims and goals of our program
- To meet the unprecedented professional demand for graduates who can write and speak at a level of competence substantially above that expected of beginning professionals
- To provide a programmatic option for developing more extensive student expertise in writing and speaking, both on a practical and theoretical level
- To enhance the writing and speaking skills of students who wish to pursue a PhD or advanced degree in Rhetoric and Composition, English, law and other graduate or professional degrees
- To provide a concentration that will complement many majors and lead to discipline-related writing careers such as scientific writing (paired with a Biology or Chemistry major), corporate communication (paired with a C & F major), technical writing (paired with an Engineering major). Other career options facilitated by our Concentration include editing, free-lance writing, journalism, magazine writing, administrative and managerial writing, writing for the non-profit sector or government, publishing, advertising, or public relations. Our Concentration will also provide future teachers with a better understanding of both the acquisition and instruction of writing and speaking skills.
- To impart a commitment to the highest ethical standards and ideals among writers in the program.