Facts on School of the Future
- Created through partnership between Microsoft and the School District of Philadelphia
- 388 “learners”
- Students in the city of Philadelphia must enter a lottery and be randomly selected to attend
- All learners are given a laptop, since all teaching is done with computers
- Embodies innovation and technology-based education
- 82.8% eligible for free or reduced lunch
- 12.9% special education
What will you do?
We work with an organization called the “West Philadelphia Alliance for Children.” They staff an afterschool program for homework help and SAT prep as well as possible mentorship for senior projects.
- After School Program
- Assist students with their homework and serve as a mentor and role model-SAT Prep
- Peer Mediation
- Assist with their Peer Mediation program (Mondays)
When will you go?
Monday 10:30 am - 2:00 pm , Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm, Friday 10:30 am - 2:00 pm or 12:30 - 3:30
HSOTF Entreprenueurship Club: Fridays 12:30 - 3:30 pm
School of the Future would be a great choice for you if…
- you are interested in working with high school students
- you feel comfortable working in an after school setting
- you feel comfortable offering motivation and direction to those who may be struggling with a specific subject
- You are interested in a new approach to learning which is taking place through Microsoft’s partnership.
What our sophomores say...
The School of the Future is a high school located in West Philadelphia that was developed through a partnership between the School District of Philadelphia and Microsoft. The goal of this project is to create a "technology-based education model" that can be replicated in other communities around teh world. All students are issued a laptop computer where all of their work is completed and then submitted. Teachers focus on "project-based learning" where students can see how various topics can be applied to many different subjects. As a volunteer at SOTF, SLC students serve as after school tutors. Volunteers may be asked to tutor various subjects including Math, Chemistry, English and History. Service trips run in the afternoon, generally from 2:30 -5:30. The School of the Future is a wonderful opportunity to work with high school students in the Philadelphia area. -- Sara Jane Leier.
Friday times will probably involve working with a senior or group of seniors developing the senior project which is required for graduation.