Frequently Asked Questions

Will I have an advisor?

All students are assigned a faculty advisor prior to the beginning of their first academic year. Once a student has declared a major, he/she should have the same faculty advisor within the Major for the duration of his/her academic career. All advisors in the College of Arts and Sciences have chosen the opportunity to work closely with students, to assist you as you explore personal and professional goals.

Back to Top

Am I required to meet with my faculty advisor?

It is important that you communicate frequently with your advisor. Your advisor will be able to answer questions regarding majors and minors, University services, College policies, and much more. Also, each semester, prior to the university’s pre-registration period, students must meet with their faculty advisor to discuss course scheduling and to receive their registration PIN for on-line registration.

Back to Top

What is CAPP?

Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) is a web-based degree-auditing tool. It tracks a student’s progress toward the completion of his/her degree. CAPP compliance forms are available for both students and their Faculty Advisors through MyNOVA. A student’s current academic information is compared to student's degree requirements indicating the remaining courses. CAPP can also perform a “What-If” function which checks a student’s academic record against the requirements for a new major and highlights the remaining courses.

Back to Top

What if I am struggling academically?

Your first resource is always your professor. Your professor wants you to succeed as much as you do. The departments within the College are also eager to see you succeed. To that end, each department provides contact information and/or academic support for your assistance. Students are also encouraged to visit the Learning Commons on the 2nd floor of Falvey Library where they will find the Math Learning and Resource Center (MLRC) and the Writing Center. Finally, help from Learning Support Services is available in the Learning Commons as well to help you succeed academically.

Back to Top


Am I required to take a language?

Yes, you are required to take a foreign language. Specific information regarding this requirement is listed in the Student Handbook, the Enchiridion. If a student has completed two years of a language in high school, credit for introductory courses in that language taken at the College will not satisfy degree requirements.

Back to Top

Can I study abroad?

Yes. The College encourages all students to participate in an overseas experience during the summer, fall, or spring semester. The Office of International Studies provides assistance to students desiring to study in a foreign country.

Back to Top


Can I major in more than one discipline?

Yes. Students have the opportunity to double major. Students may apply for a double major during the initial major selection process (or after). Such students should come to the Office for Undergraduate Students in room 107, St. Augustine Center to discuss this possibility. The department chair of the second major will review the student's academic record and accept or deny request.

Back to Top

When and how do I declare/change my major?

Students in Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Comprehensive Science, Computer Science, Mathematics and Physics enter into the College as a declared major, however, most students begin their academic career as an Undeclared Arts major. These students need not declare/change their major until the end of the sophomore year. Students must fill out an application to declare/change a major.

Back to Top


I took a college course in high school. Can I get credit for the course?

College-level work completed prior to high school graduation, including college courses that fulfill high school graduation requirements, may be awarded  transfer credits upon receipt of the following: (1) an official letter from the high school principal, secondary school counselor or other educational professional describing the college-level program of study; (2) an official letter from the college/university stating that the courses were taught by members of the regular faculty, open to enrollment by and graded in competition with regularly matriculated undergraduates at the college and a regular part of the normal curriculum published in the college catalog; (3) a course syllabus; and (4) an official, seal-bearing transcript from the college/university showing a grade of C or better. 

Credit or advanced standing for courses taught at the high school will not be accepted.  With respect to courses taught in a distance learning format, and for other requirements, each academic program will review on a case by case basis. Each supporting document is to be sent to the Dean of the College in which the student is enrolling. All pre-matriculated credit must be accepted and approved before the completion of two semesters at Villanova.”

Back to Top

I took AP courses in high school. Can I get credit for these courses?

Students may receive credit for AP courses completed in high school as long as the necessary grades have been achieved on the College Board Advanced Placement Tests. No limit is placed on the number of advanced placement credits awarded.

Back to Top

While a student at Villanova, can I take courses at another institution during the summer?

Students may take summer courses at another four year accredited institution if they have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA). Permission is required before enrolling. Forms are available in the Office for Undergraduate Students, Room 107, St. Augustine Center. Grades of "C" or better (not "C-") are required to receive transfer credit. Only credits, NOT grades are transferrable.

Back to Top

How many credits can I transfer into Villanova?

A student may transfer up to 60 credits, which include AP credits, study abroad and summer courses taken elsewhere. The last 30 credits, senior year, 50 percent of all courses required for the degree and at least 50 percent of major courses must be earned at Villanova University. Grades of "C" or better (not "C-") are required to be considered for transfer credit.

Back to Top

What is the minimum Grade Point Average I need to graduate?

Students need an overall cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 to graduate. Students in the sciences must also have a technical grade point average (TGPA) of at least 2.0. Academic records of all students falling below a 2.0 GPA in any semester will be reviewed by the College's Academic Standing Committee for appropriate action, which may include being placed on academic probation or dismissal from the College.

Back to Top

How many credits can I take each semester?

To be considered a full-time student, students are required to take a minimum of 12 credits. A normal load for a Liberal Arts or Sciences student is between 15 and 18 credits. A course overload is possible and should be discussed with your faculty advisor.

Back to Top

Does the College have an attendance policy?

Regular class attendance is expected of all students. Freshmen are required to be present regularly at all class sessions and will receive a grade of "Y" (failure) whenever the number of unexcused absences in a course exceeds twice the number of weekly class meetings for that course. The faculty member for upper class students determines attendance policies.

Back to Top

Does the College have an Academic Integrity Policy?

Inspired by the spirit of St. Augustine, academic honesty and integrity lie at the heart of the values experssed in the University mission statement. Villanova University has adopted a Code of Academic Integrity that applies to all students. The University does not tolerate any form of academic dishonesty or misconduct. Dishonesty (including plagiarism) in any assignment, test, or examination will result in a zero for the given assignment and is reported to the Office for Undergraduate Students (OUS). In addition, the student will be expected to complete an academic integrity education program. A second offense will result in dismissal from the Unviersity with the reason noted on the student's official transcript.

Back to Top


How do I register for classes each semester?

The Office of the Registrar creates a fall semester class schedule for each incoming freshman. This schedule may be accessed through MyNova in mid-August. Pre-registration for the spring semester takes place in October. All students are required to meet with their faculty advisor to review the curriculum requirements and to receive their registration PIN. Students then register on-line through MyNova. New registration PINs are assigned each semester.

Back to Top

What if I need to register for a course and the section is closed?

Students are not permitted to enroll in closed sections. In extenuating circumstances, an exception can be made by the chair of the academic department offering the course. Faculty members teaching the course cannot make exceptions, the permission of the Chair of the department is REQUIRED.

Back to Top

Can I change my schedule?

Incoming freshman schedules can only be changed based on a curriculum need. This must be determined through conversation with their advisor. For all other semesters, during the first five days of each semester, students must may drop and add classes through MyNova. This is referred to as the drop/add period. If a course is dropped before the end of the drop/add period (by 5:00 pm on day five of the semester) the course will not be part of a student's permanent record, i.e. the course will not show up on a student's transcript.

Back to Top

Can I withdraw from a class after the first five days (after the drop/add period)?

Students may withdraw from a class after the drop/add period. The last day for Authorized Withdrawal without Academic Penalty (WX grade) is usually two days after the close of pre-registration for the forthcoming semester. The course with a grade of "WX" will appear on a student's permanent record; however this grade is not calculated into the student's grade point average (GPA).

If a student withdraws from a course after the authorized deadline, it is considered an authorized withdrawal with academic penalty. A grade of "W" will be designated on a student's permanent record. A grade of "W" is the equivalent to an "F" grade and is included in computing a student's grade point average (GPA). Withdrawal forms, (available in the Office for Undergraduate Students, Room 107 St. Augustine Center) will require the signature of your Advisor and a Dean.

Back to Top


What if I want to transfer into the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences?

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences accepts internal transfers from all of the other colleges at Villanova. In order to be considered for admission, students must submit both the Internal Transfer Policy and the Internal Transfer Application to the Office for Undergraduate Students (Room 107 St. Augustine Center) for review.

Back to Top

What if I want to transfer into the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Villanova University from another College or University?

Villanova welcomes applications from students with previous college experience. Candidates are selected for admission on the basis of individual merit as determined by their complete college coursework and an evaluation by the Dean of Students at the last college attended. Interested individuals are encouraged to view the Admission Overview for Transfer Students.

Back to Top


Don't see your question here? Contact OUS in the St. Augustine Center, Room 107 or (610) 519-3900 and someone will be happy to help!