You have been asked to serve as a Faculty Sponsor for a Villanova University Research Award for Undergraduates which provides funding for your student to conduct independent research under your mentorship. These awards are granted to students with strong academic records who demonstrate a dedicated interest in complementing their undergraduate academic program through research experience. In your recommendation, please indicate how long you have known the student and in what capacity. With specific examples, provide your evaluation of the applicant’s academic, intellectual or artistic abilities with respect to the proposed project. Please attach your letter of endorsement for the student’s project proposal through the confidential password-protected, online recommendation form.
In your letter of endorsement, please address the following:
- Your commitment to serve as the faculty sponsor for this project
- The nature of any special training or preparation the student has completed to allow execution of the project (may include relevant course work or independent study or consultation with you).
- Your role as advisor or collaborator in the project.
- Your critical assessment of the probability of successful completion of the work outlined in the student’s proposal.
- The nature of any other support you or your department will make available for the project, e.g., archived data, special collections, and laboratory or field equipment.
- In general terms where the project fits into your area of specialty or field of study.
Please Note: Your letter of endorsement must contain a declaration of your commitment to serve as Advisor and Mentor to assist the student in completing a successful, active, independent scholarly project; this commitment is essential--and quite distinct from utilizing the student as a research assistant for your own scholarly research.