Participation in the Challenge Exam program is not automatically given, and is contingent upon the following limitations:
- the student must be matriculated, and offer evidence of sufficient background to the department offering the exam to have a reasonable command of the subject matter;
- if the student has previously taken an exam to waive course requirement, the student may not subsequently take an exam for credit in that same course;
- a student cannot use this program to pass a course for which the student has failed, either at Villanova or any other institution;
- a student on probation, or who is suspended, may not take such an exam for credit.
The granting of credit is contingent upon the following conditions:
- A student may not challenge a foreign language requirement in their primary language. Once a sequence of language has begun, a student may not revert to a lower-level course.
- A fee of $80 per credit hour will be levied
- Credit granted will not exceed that assigned to the course as listed in the University Catalog
- The maximum credit allowed the student through this program is 30 hours
- Credit for no more than three courses may be applied to a student’s major
- A passing grade of “CE” will appear on the student’s transcript; a failing grade will not be recorded
- The test dates, determined by the Director, will take place shortly after the mid-semester break and before the pre-registration period in the Fall and Spring. The exam is also given in July.
The following are procedural matters for the administration of the program for all students of the University:
- the application process is the responsibility of the student and must be completed at least two weeks before the date of the exam. The student begins the applications process with the Director who, after reviewing the student's academic status and consulting with the student's Dean, assists the student in completing the necessary form - the student takes the form to the Chairperson of the Department providing the exam for approval - then to the student's Dean for approval;
- the form is then taken to the Bursar's Office for validation when the appropriate fee is paid. The validated form is then returned to the Director. With Director's approval refunds will be made upon request two weeks before the test date. A "no show" student forfeits all fees;
- syllabi for all challengeable courses are to be prepared by the Departments and made available to students directly and in the Reserve Room f Falvey Library labeled Credit by Examination for "room use only"
- during the week prior to the exam the department chairpersons will lodge with the Director a copy of the exam for each candidate in a sealed envelope properly identified with the student's name, SS number, department and name of the exam on its face;
- notification of students of time and place of the exam, and other physical arrangements, are the responsibility of the Director.
- students who fail the exam have the right to review it with the faculty in question. But since all exams for security sake should be destroyed by the dean of the semester in which they were administered, the student's right of review terminates at that time also;
- the Director will notify the students, the student's major department, the student's dean of the Registrar's Office of the exam results.