Advance understanding of historical contexts. Increase competency in research and methodology.
We partnered with the Graduate Program in History to offer a combined MA in Theology with a Certificate in History. The combined program provides a unique opportunity to graduate students in theology who seek to advance their
- understanding of the historical context of religious thought, institutions, and faith traditions; and
- their historical research and methodology through graduate-level course work in history.
Application and Admission
Applicants are evaluated and accepted by the Graduate Program in Theology for its Master’s program and the Graduate Program in History for its Certificate program. That is, both programs evaluate applications according to their admissions criteria and collaborate in admitting you to the combined degree and certificate program.
The same admission standards that apply for the MA in Theology program and the History Certificate program apply for students seeking admission to the combined program. However, of the three letters of recommendation you provide, one of them must address your qualifications to pursue graduate study of history; the other two should address your qualifications for graduate study of theology. Likewise, be sure to address your reasons for seeking admission to the combined program when you compose your statement of objectives.
The credit requirements are as follows:
- 27 credit hours or 9 courses from the Theology curriculum
- 12 credit hours or 4 courses from the History curriculum
- Total Credits: 39 (Theology 27 + History 12)
Use our worksheet to plan your courses. Choose three courses from among these HIS courses that are particularly suitable for counting towards your MA in Theology requirements (other courses with approval of THL Graduate Program Director):
- HIS 8207 Women & Gender in Europe 400-1650
- HIS 8208 Medieval Europe
- HIS 8209 The Renaissance
- HIS 8211 Reformation and Catholic Counter Reformation
- HIS 8225 The Enlightment
- HIS 8412 Colonial Latin America
- HIS 8436 Women & Gender in the Middle East
Scholarships and Assistantships
Graduate assistants and tuition scholars in Theology who wish to participate in the combined program will receive tuition remission for thirty-six credits (27 Theology credits plus 9 History credits), but not for the additional 3 credits required to earn a Certificate in History.