The program combines academic studies in Theology, Counseling, and Lay Ministry with practical training in ministerial contexts. Please see the Program Requirements Checklist for specifics.
All students enrolled in the program complete
Required Course in Theology:
- 1 course (3 credit hours), Foundation in Theology (THL 8000), required of all students who do not provide evidence of significant previous graduate course work in Theology (otherwise an elective course)
Elective Course in Theology:
- 1 course (3 credit hours) in theology - an elective in Christian Ethics, Systematic Theology, Christian Spirituality, or New Testament Studies
- 4 courses (the equivalent of six credit hours) in Pastoral Ministry and Counseling Practice – required of all students in the program:
- THL 8800 Ministry and Counseling Practice I
- THL 8801 Ministry and Counseling Practice II
- THL 8810 Ministry and Counseling Practice III
- THL 8811 Ministry and Counseling Practice IV
Required Courses in Counseling:
- 2 courses (6 credit hours) in Counseling (CHR 8679 and CHR 8605 or CHR 8655) – required of all students in the program
A two-year supervised Field Practicum of 10 hours per week (that is, 150 hours per semester or 600 hours in total).