Study in an academically rigorous program. “Do” theology, foster Christian intellectual and moral perspectives, and apply the faith in every area of human activity.
The program is:
- Jointly administered by the Department of Theology and Religious Studies and the Center for Pastoral Ministry Education and Internship.
- Advances theological and ministerial studies within our Augustinian tradition and prepares you to become a responsible lay minister, educator, and leader.
- Requires you to develop a concentration in Lay Ministry and take courses that fulfill the specific needs and professional objectives of this concentration.
- Independent of the MA in Theology degree program. You may be enrolled in the Certificate program only or pursue the Certificate in combination with our MA in Theology Program or also our Campus Ministry Graduate Internship Program.
- Modeled after the inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary nature of our MA in Theology program.
- Combines academic studies in Theology and Pastoral Ministry with practical training in ministerial contexts.
In order to prepare for working as a lay minister in parishes, schools, and other ministerial settings, each of the four Pastoral Ministry and Counseling Practice courses includes a supervised Ministerial Field Practicum. Successful completion of the courses requires a minimum of 10 hours per week of field education in a ministerial setting approved by the course instructor.
Like the courses in Pastoral Ministry and Counseling Practice, the practicum spans 4 semesters. You are responsible for obtaining your placement and must complete a Practicum Contract. Villanova offers unique, but limited opportunities for completing the Practicum in Campus Ministry.
For more information, please contact the Coordinator of the Campus Ministry Graduate Internship Program.
Transfer Between Programs
- Students in the Certificate in Pastoral Ministry program may apply for acceptance to the MA in Theology degree program. Acceptance is dependent upon good academic standing in the Certificate program.
- Students who have completed the requirements for the Certificate in Pastoral Ministry program and maintained a 3.0 GPA will, upon request, be accepted into the MA program. Students may transfer the four theology courses taken in fulfillment of the requirements for the Certificate to the Master’s degree program.
- Students who have completed the requirements for the Certificate in Pastoral Ministry program and maintained a 3.0 GPA will, upon request, be accepted into the combined MA in Theology and Pastoral Ministry program. Students may transfer all courses taken in fulfillment of the requirements for the Certificate to the combined program.
- Students enrolled in the MA program who do not wish to complete the degree program but have completed the requirements for the Certificate, will receive the Certificate.
- Students with Special Student status wishing to continue in a Certificate program must petition our Program Director for a reevaluation of their status.