After the completion of a minimum of 24 credits of the 30 credit hours of graduate work (10 graduate courses), students will take the Comprehensive Master’s Exam. A graduate student must inform the Graduate Director of his/her intent to take the comprehensive exam and give the areas of his or her choice in writing at least six weeks prior to the date of the exam, which is offered once in the Fall, once in the Spring and once in the Summer. The exact dates are announced at the beginning of every semester. See the academic policies.
It is strongly recommended that students meet with the faculty members of the selected areas to discuss readings, literary criticism, pertinent theories, possible questions and strategies for successful preparation and completion of the exam. Students must select a total of eight areas, preferably one with each professor.
Fill out this document to choose your areas for the comps.
Dates for Summer 2013 are: June 3, 5 and 7, 2013
Times of the COMPS: 9:30 - 4:30
Questions: Normally 1 out of 2 questions, or in some cases, 2 out of 4 questions per area can be expected.
Please choose 8 areas. You must take at least one area with each faculty member.
1. Medieval / Pre-Renaissance Peninsular Literature: Dr. Adriano Duque
2. Early Modern Peninsular Theater and Prose: Dr. Carmen Peraita
3. Early Modern Peninsular Poetry: Dr. Salvatore Poeta
4. Peninsular Romanticism, Realism and Modernismo: Dr. Mercedes Juliá
5. Neoclassical to Contemporary Peninsular Theater: Dr. Salvatore Poeta
6. Contemporary Peninsular Narrative : Dr. Mercedes Juliá
7. Peninsular Poetry of 20th & 21st Centuries: Dr. Salvatore Poeta
8. Colonial Hispanic Literature: Dr. Silvia Nagy-Zekmi
9. Hispanic Cultural and Postcolonial Studies: Dr. Silvia Nagy-Zekmi
10. Literary Theory: Dr. Silvia Nagy-Zekmi
11. ContemporaryLatin American Novel: Dr. Carlos Trujillo
12. Contemporary Latin American Poetry: Dr. Carlos Trujillo
13. Contemporary Latin American Short Story: Dr. Estrella Ogden
14. Contemporary Latin American Theater: Dr. Estrella Ogden
15. Spanish Linguistics: Dr. Julio Villa-Garcia
Taking the comps in your computer with the Respondus lockdown browser.
Thinking of continuing your studies in a PhD program?
Here is a list of universities that DO NOT require the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)