Qualified Spanish majors, interested in obtaining an MA inconjunction with their BA degree, may apply in the beginning of the second semester of their Junior Year (normally January).
To be eligible, these students must have:
- a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- a GPA in the major of at least 3.5 (including at least 15 SPA credits above the intermediate level by the end of the Junior year)
Interested students who meet the above requirements must submit to Dr. Silvia Nagy-Zekmi, director of Hispanic Graduate Studies the following documentation:
- a personal statement about the student's career objectives and reasons for seeking admission to the combined degree program (max 2 pages).
- an academic writing sample (8-10 pages) in Spanish
- three academic letters of recommendation
The GRE exam will be waived.
Students accepted into the BA/MA program
- take a total of three Spanish (SPA) graduate courses during their senior year, which are “double-counted” for both degrees,
- take their remaining seven graduate courses during the fall and spring terms of their fifth year. Courses may also be taken in the Summer if needed.
- Only 3 graduate courses taken as undergraduate will count for the graduate degree, if more graduate courses are taken they will only count for the undergraduate degree.
- Students must retain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 throughout their fourth and fifth years to remain in good standing.
Additional curricular issues include the following:
- All Core Curriculum requirements are maintained, including core humanities, ethics, foreign language, fine arts, natural sciences, history, literature, philosophy, theology, social science, math, and the core distribution requirements (diversity, integrative sequence, and writing requirements).
- Courses taken in other departments do not qualify for this degree.
- All students admitted into the program will be awarded a BA degree in the same four years as all other undergraduates and march with their graduating class, provided they have completed a minimum of thirty one(31) undergraduate courses by the beginning of the fall semester of their senior year.
Undergraduate and Graduate Tuition
3 graduate courses that “double-count” taken in the senior year: standard undergraduate tuition
5 graduate courses: graduate tuition rate
2 graduate courses: tuition is waved for the last 2 graduate courses
|Academic Year||Fall Semester||Spring Semester|
|Freshman year*||SPA 1121 - Intermediate Spanish I||SPA 1122 - Intermediate Spanish II|
|Sophomore year||SPA 1131 - Conversation & Composition I||SPA 1132 - Conversation & Composition II|
|Junior year||2 SPA UG courses||3 SPA UG courses|
|Senior year**||1 SPA GRAD||2 SPA GRAD|
|5th year:||4 SPA GRAD||3 SPA GRAD|
|MA Comp. Examination||July (Summer session II.)|