The Hitachi S-3000N Variable Pressure Scanning Electron Microscope is capable of imaging specimens at high vacuum and also in a variable pressure range from 1 - 270 Pa. This allows non-conducting specimens such as insulating materials and water or oil containing samples to be imaged without sputter coating. It has a tungsten filament (electron source) and a secondary electron detector for use in high vacuum only, as well as backscattered and absorbed electron detectors which can be used in both high vacuum and variable pressure modes.
- Secondary electron resolution: 3.5nm to 50nm (high vacuum mode)
- Backscatter electron resolution: 5.5nm to 100nm (variable pressure mode)
- Magnification: 15 to ~300,000x
- Filament: Tungsten filament
- Accelerating voltage: 0.3 to 30 kV
- Maximum Specimen size:150mm diameter x 20mm high