Students who plan to get a minor should declare their intention as a sophomore by filing a Math Minor Application with Dr. Paul Pasles, Mathematics Minor Coordinator, in SAC 324, 610.519.7345.
To receive a math minor certificate, the student must see Dr. Pasles in person prior to the course registration for his/her final semester. Students may consult Dr. Pasles at any time for information and advice. If all requirements are satisfied, the certificate will be issued about two weeks after graduation and it will also appear on the student's transcript.
Requirements for Mathematics Minor
- The analysis sequence:
- MAT 1500 - Calculus I
- MAT 1505 - Calculus II
- MAT 2500 - Calculus III
- MAT 2600 - Foundation of Math I
- Four elective courses: MAT 2705 - Diff Equation with Linear Alg , or math courses numbered 3000 or higher.
A student may petition to substitute no more than one of the four math minor electives with an upper division course in his/her own major. The proposed substitutions must contain substantial mathematical content and not overlap with any math minor elective courses.
Examples of acceptable substitutions are:
- BIO 3105 Biostatistics & Exp Design
- CEE 3704 CE Numerical & Stat Analysis
- CEE 4701 Economy and Risk
- CHM 3412 Physical Chemistry II
- CHM 3416 Physical Chem for Engineers
- CSC 4170 Theory of Computation
- ECE 3720 Eng Probability & Statistics
- ECO 3117 Intro Econometrics
- ECO 3128 Intro Mathematical Econ
- ECO 3138 Game Theory
- FIN 2325 Introduction to Derivatives
- ME 3103 Dynamical Systems III
- ME 4102 System Dynamics
- MGT 2206 TOP: Data Mining
- PHY 4202 Mathematical Physics II
The math minor form link is provided below. Please return the completed form to the Department of Mathematics and Statistics in SAC, Room 305.