The program leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Mathematics & Statistics is designed to introduce students to the major aspects of contemporary mathematics.
By selecting appropriate electives students may become well prepared either for positions in industry or for graduate study in mathematics and related disciplines. The mathematics major can prepare for a career in actuarial science, operations research, computer science, statistics, biostatistics, mathematical physics or any of many other areas which use mathematics.
Mathematics Major Requirements
The following courses are required of Mathematics majors:
In addition, Mathematics majors must select:
- one approved upper level analysis course
- four other mathematics courses numbered 3000 or above
- a two-semester sequence of natural science courses with a lab at the science-major level,
We strongly urge students to take:
- PHY 2410 - University Phy:Mechanics and PHY 2411 - Lab: Mechanics ,
- PHY 2412 - Univ Physics: Elec & Mag and PHY 2413 - Lab: Elec & Magnetism
but will allow one of the following 3 sequences:
- BIO 2105 - General Biology I and BIO 2102 - General Biology I Lab
- BIO 2106 - General Biology II and BIO 2104 - General Biology II Lab
- AST 2122 - Galaxies and Cosmology and AST 1073 - Stellar Lab
- AST 2121 - Solar System Astronomy and AST 1075 - Planets Lab
- one additional science course at the science-major level with lab if appropriate e.g.:
- In addition, the core requirements for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences must be fulfilled.