The Certificate program can be tailored to the student’s specific needs. Students may choose from the history department’s regular course offerings on the basis of their own interests and needs. Students must complete 15 credits to be awarded a certificate. Students may earn multiple certificates.
Who may apply:
- Those who posses a bachelors degree and who are interested in studying history at the graduate level.
- Those who already possess a Master of Arts degree in history from Villanova University or any other accredited university are eligible. Applicants who hold graduate degrees in other fields may also be admitted, subject to the approval of the history department’s Graduate Steering Committee.
- Applicants need only complete a brief application form and provide a transcript. Two letters of recommendation and statement of goals are necessary for the Certificate program. However those who already possess a Masters degree may have the requirements waived, please discuss your qualifications with the program director.
The five available Certificates in history are as follows:
- Graduate Study in History
- Graduate Study in American History
- Graduate Study in European History (before 1789)
- Graduate Study in Modern European History (1789-present)
- Graduate Study in World History