Students who wish to drop or add a course must do so during the drop/add period at the beginning of the semester. The dates of the drop/add period are indicated in the academic calendar. It generally ends 7 days after the start of classes. New students should complete a drop/add form (available from their department), which they give to their graduate program director or department chairperson for approval; returning students may drop or add courses themselves, using their registration PIN.
Students may not add a course after the end of the drop/add period. In order to drop a course after this period, they must request an authorized withdrawal. See Withdrawal from a Course.
Students who drop a class on or after the first day of classes will not receive a 100% refund of tuition. They are liable for tuition charges for each course as follows:
- Up to the first week, the student will receive a refund of 80%
- Up to the second week, the student will receive a refund of 60%
- Up to the third week, the student will receive a refund of 40%
- Up to the fourth week, the student will receive a refund of 20%
- Beyond the fourth week, no refund will be available
For additional information regarding refunds, please refer to the Bursar's Office.