The Villanova English department gives out two essay awards each year:
- The Jerome J. Fischer Memorial Award
- The Margaret Powell Esmonde Memorial Award
The Jerome J. Fischer Memorial Award is given to the most distinguished scholarly or critical essay written by an undergraduate student at Villanova.
The Margaret Powell Esmonde Memorial Award is given to the most distinguished scholarly or critical essay written by a graduate student at Villanova.
Both awards come with a prize of $100. The prize-winning essays are published in a booklet. For previous winners, as well as information about Jerome J. Fischer and Margaret Powell Esmonde, see our Awards page.
Both competitions are open only to students taking courses at Villanova University, including night school courses. To be eligible, essays must have been
- written within a year preceding the deadline;
- written either for a Villanova English course (2100 level or higher) or for a Villanova Honors course (2000 level or higher) that was taught by a member of the Villanova English faculty. Work submitted for a senior Honors thesis or an M. A. thesis is not eligible.
- In addition to their essay, students should include a cover page including the course and professor for which the paper was written, as well as their local address, email, and telephone number.
- Students should also submit the essay assignment or an approximation of the assignment.
- Essays should be formatted in Times New Roman 12 (or equivalent font) and double-spaced. Graduate essays should be no more than 20 pages long, double-spaced; undergraduate essays are limited to 12 pages.
- Notes should be organized in the parenthetical form recommended by the third edition of the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers.
- Judges are looking for argumentative originality and rigor, elegance of writing, and interpretive incisiveness. Winning papers tend to engage sources in addition to the primary text.
The deadline for submissions is usually in early April. E-mail submissions via attachment to email@example.com.