Any senior may submit work for consideration. The winner receives an award certificate and a $100 honorarium, and is asked to read from the winning poems at the English Department awards ceremony on Friday, May 3. All students who submit to the contest will have one poem displayed on posters in Falvey Library during the month of April, which is National Poetry Month. The contest is judged anonymously by a Philadelphia area poet.
Before the results are announced, there will also be an open-mic poetry reading at which all those who submitted poems, as well as others from the university community, are invited to read. It takes place at noon on Wednesday, April 24, in Falvey Library. Refreshments will be served.
For previous winners, see the Awards page.
• Entries must be typed. Submit no more than five poems (ten pages maximum).
• Include a cover letter, which lists poem titles as well as your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address. The author’s name should appear only on the cover letter and should not appear on the poems.
• In the cover letter, provide permission to display one poem from your entry in Falvey Library during April, and indicate which poem or section of a longer poem you would like to have displayed.
• Entries can be brought to the English Department office, 402 SAC, or e-mailed as a Word document to Prof. Lisa Sewell.
• The deadline is 4 pm on Monday, March 25.
If you have any questions, contact the English Department (610-519-4630) or e-mail Prof. Lisa Sewell.