This program, offered through the Part-Time Studies Department, offers individuals who have already earned a Bachelor's degree to complete the coursework required for teacher certification at the undergraduate level. To earn certification in secondary education, individuals are required to earn a total of 37 credit hours in Education courses. These 37 hours include a Senior Seminar and a 12 credit Student Teaching experience which is open only to students who have completed all the subject matter courses in the field of specialization.
*NOTE* - Individuals may earn a 36-credit Master of Arts in Education PLUS Teacher Certification in 12 months. For more information, see Masters of Arts in Teacher Education plus Certification.
To be admitted to the Secondary Teacher Certification Program at Villanova University the post baccalaureate applicant must have:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Completed an application to the teacher certification program through Part Time Studies and submitted all transcripts from colleges or universities attended (Apply on-line below)
- A GPA of 3.00 or higher
- A letter of recommendation from a professor on the faculty of one of the colleges or universities that the applicant attended
- Taken at least six (6) semester hours credit of college level mathematics or equivalent
- Completed six (6) semester hours credit of college level English literature and composition
Each application will be reviewed by the Chairperson of the Department of Education and Counseling of Villanova University. If a student is accepted into the Teacher Certification Program a letter of admission to the Program will be sent to the applicant's mailing address by the Director of Part Time Studies. If the applicant fails to meet any requirement for admission to the post baccalaureate program, he or she will be advised to reapply once he or she meets the requirements.
Education Courses for Secondary Teacher Certification in Part time Studies
- EDU 2201 - Social Foundation Educ I
- EDU 2202 - Social Foundation Edu II
- EDU 3251 - Psych of Teaching & Learning
- EDU 3263 - Diversity and Inclusion
- EDU 4290 - Philosophy of Education
- EDU 4281 - Meth English Sec School
- EDU 4282 - Meth Fgn Lang Sec School
- EDU 4283 - Meth Math Sec School
- EDU 4284 - Meth Science Sec School
- EDU 4285 - Meth Soc Stud Sec School
- EDU 4291 - Student Teaching ( 12 credits)
One elective from: