In order to declare the COM major, you must:
- Have a minimum VU GPA of 2.5 or above;
- Have enrolled in OR completed two of the following: COM 1000 - Surv of Communication Studies, COM 1100 - Public Speaking, COM 1200 – Intro to Com Research
- Fill out the major declaration form, which is available in the Communication Department office (Room 28, Garey Hall). Please note, if you use the form available online, we will ask you for additional information when you drop it by our office--but it will only take a couple of minutes.
Below are the basic requirements for the COM degree at Villanova--to learn more about our Department's 8 specializations.
Basic Requirements for the COM Major
Thirty-six (36) credit hours, as follows:
- Three (3) introductory courses:
COM 1000 - Surv of Communication Studies
COM 1100 - Public Speaking
COM 1200 - Intro to COM Research
Note: this course will also serve as your A&S sophomore research seminar.
- Two (2) theory-level courses (2000-level).
Note: these courses serve as prerequisites for our advanced topics courses--so you must take at least one of these PRIOR to taking a 3000-level course!
- Five (5) advanced topics courses (3000-level), from at least three (3) specializations within the Department.
- One (1) advanced research course. Choose from the following:
COM 4001 - Qualitative Research in COM (prereq: COM 1200)
COM 4002 - Quantitative Research in COM (prereq: COM 1200)
- One (1) integrative, capstone course (COM 5050 - Senior Project ; prereq: COM 4001 or COM 4002)