Exceptional Communication majors interested in obtaining a Master of Arts in Communication in conjunction with their Bachelor of Arts can earn both degrees in an accelerated timeframe through the five-year BA/MA program. This program allows qualified undergraduate majors to take graduate level courses during their senior year and complete remaining requirements for the Master’s degree during a fifth year of study. Graduate courses taken during the senior year count toward both undergraduate degree requirements as well the course requirements for the graduate program. With completion of all undergraduate requirements, students are awarded a Bachelor of Arts degree at the end of their fourth year of study and then continue in the graduate program.
Admission Criteria for BA/MA Program
Near the completion of their Junior year, qualified Communication majors will be informed of the BA/MA program in Communication and invited to apply to the accelerated dual degree program. To be eligible, these students must have:
- A Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- A GPA in the major of at least 3.2
- Completed at least 18 credits in Communication by the end of the junior year including:
- COM 1000 - Surv of Communication Studies
- COM 1100 - Public Speaking
- COM 1200 - Intro to COM Research
- Two (2) COM 2000 theory courses
- One (1) Advanced Research Course (COM 4001 or COM 4002)
Students in the BA/MA track must maintain strong academic performance in all their coursework. As seniors, students must earn a “B” or higher each graduate course. Once a student in the BA/MA program acquires formal graduate standing (after year four), his/her GPA in graduate courses must meet the specified minimum of 3.0.
To begin your application, please download, print and complete the Application Form (link). Your complete application will include:
- Completed Application Form
- Official undergraduate transcripts from Villanova and any other institution from which you have received college credit
- A writing sample that demonstrates your potential for success in the program
- A personal statement describing your career goals and reasons for pursuing a master's degree.
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty who can assess your potential for success in the BA/MA program (letter forms are included with the Application Form).
Your completed application should be submitted to Maria Conway, Graduate Studies in Communication, Garey 027. The admission process is competitive and selective. A maximum of 5 students will be admitted to the BA/MA program each year.
Contact the program director:
Gordon Coonfield, Ph.D.
Director of Graduate Studies & Associate Professor,
Department of Communication
27 Garey Hall