Frequently Answered Questions

Undergraduate Programs

Please see the Graduate FAQs, for specific questions on the graduate program.

I am interested in becoming a Chemistry major at Villanova. Can you tell me more about your program?

The best way to learn about our program is to come to visit. We would schedule a visit for you where you would meet with faculty and students, and learn about Chemistry at Villanova.

Back to Top

Can I sit in on a class?

Absolutely! Let us know when you would like to visit us, and we can suggest one or more chemistry classes that would give you an idea of what to expect if you would come here as a student.

Back to Top

Is there any financial aid specific for Chemistry majors?

All financial aid awards are made through the Office of Financial Assistance. The Chemistry Department does not have any funding for financial aid, and is not involved in financial aid decisions.

Back to Top

Can you send me a course syllabus?

We can usually provide syllabi for specific courses. The best way to get this is to contact the Chemistry office by electronic mail; we will send your syllabus as a PDF file.

Back to Top

You offer three General Chemistry courses. Which one do I need to take?

The three General Chemistry courses offered by the Department are:

  • CHM 1050 – Chemistry Themes and Foundations is a course designed for Arts and Business majors who wish to take an introductory chemistry course to fulfill their Natural Science requirement in their College’s Core Curriculum. This course should not be taken by Nursing, Engineering, or Biology majors, or by any student seeking to enter Medical, Dental, or Allied Health graduate program.
  • CHM 1131/1134 – General Chemistry I and II are designed specifically for Nursing majors.
  • CHM 1151 – General Chemistry I and II is designed for Engineering and Biology majors, and should be taken by any student seeking to enter Medical, Dental, or Allied Health graduate program.
  • CHM 1152 – General Chemistry II is designed Biology majors, and should be taken by any student seeking to enter Medical, Dental, or Allied Health graduate program.
  • CHM 1156 – General Chemistry II for Engineers is designed specifically for Engineering majors.

Back to Top

What Chemistry course do students in the College of Business take? Is the lab required?

Any introductory chemistry course would fulfill the Core requirements for the College of Business. We recommend CHM 1050. The Core curriculum requirements in the College of Business do not require you to take the accompanying laboratory course. Very occasionally, a student in the College of Business is considering applying for Medical School in the future; these students should take CHM 1151/1152 with lab. Contact the Chemistry Department office if you have additional questions.

Back to Top

Do I have to take the lecture and laboratory components of a course together, or can I take them separately?

Since the lecture and laboratory components of our courses complement each other, we strongly recommend that you take the lecture and lab components at the same time. We can make exceptions to this depending upon the circumstances, but this requires the approval of the Department Chair or Assistant Chair. Contact the Chemistry Office if you have any questions or would like to seek approval to take one part of the course without the other.

Back to Top

I would like to take a Chemistry course, but the section with the professor that I prefer is closed. Can I be signed into the closed section?

We will make every effort to allow you to register for the Chemistry course that you desire, but we prefer not to exceed the enrollment limits for our courses. We cannot allow every student to take the professor that they would prefer. If you need help in adjusting your schedule to allow you to fit into an open section of the course you desire, we will be happy to help you. Contact the Chemistry office if you need this assistance.

Back to Top

Why are the course enrollments set to their posted limits?

In the laboratory courses, the course limits are set based upon the number of bench spaces in the lab. Overcrowding of the labs creates an unsafe environment and hinders student learning. In the lecture sections, course limits are set to provide proper personalized instruction for all students. Extra students in the courses compromises the learning for all.

Back to Top

What courses are offered in the summer?

We traditionally offer lecture and lab courses in General Chemistry, General Chemistry for Nursing majors, Organic Chemistry, and Biochemistry. For a complete list of summer offerings, check the Summer program website at


Back to Top

I want to take a Chemistry course at another college over the summer. Do I need approval?

Yes. You first need to identify the course you wish to take and the school. Typically, we will only accept transfer credit from accredited four year institutions. Next, you must obtain an approval form, which is available either in the Chemistry Department office or in the Dean’s office in the College of Arts and Sciences. On this form, complete your personal information and information about the course you wish to take. The form must then be dropped off in the Chemistry office for approval, along with a course syllabus. After we approve the course, you must then bring the form to your academic advisor for approval. The form is then submitted to the Dean’s office in the College of Arts and Science for final approval.

Back to Top